Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the scarest situation that you have ever been in or what is the scarest thing that happened to you while you were huntin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the scarest situation that you have ever been in or what is the scarest thing that happened to you while you were huntin

What is the scarest situation that you have ever been in or what is the scarest thing that happened to you while you were hunting or fishing.

While fishing almost sinking a boat ranks way up there. Took a wave over the stern and about lost it but thanks to foam flotation she bobbed right up though it did take awhile to bail.
    While hunting on my way to an afternoon hunt I hear a distinct rattle. Had a big timber rattler about 6 inches from my foot. I hit yelled at an octave no man should be able to reach and probably could have set an Olympic high jump record.
    Had other unpleasant experiences on the water and in the woods but looking back those were the only two where life and limb could have been at stake.

Comment

I got lost out West one year. I figured the fog would burn off mid day and I could coordinate myself then. The fog never burned off. I'd probably still be out there if not for that little compass in my pocket and a vague recollection of the topo map .

Comment

I fell off the front side of a river dam when I was 9 or so. Sure gave me the shock of a lifetime!!

Comment

I had a pig walk within about 2 feet of me one day while scouting deer sign. A couple of feral dogs followed my father one day. I've also stepped on a copperhead one time when I jumped out of the truck on a fishing trip, thank god for belt knives.

Comment

Scariest I’ve been, is when I was out hunting Jackrabbits and Coyotes with the Base Chief of Ground Safety. We were 70 yards apart when a Jackrabbit jumped up and stopped dead in the center of us and he drew down on it with a 30-06!

Key words: Chief of Ground Safety

Comment

sounds like a bad situation clay. ironic that he's the chief of GROUND safety. you guys should of been a little closer together i assume. either that or one person farther in front of the other. not really a scary situation, not really scary. but one time i was turkey hunting and i was walkin alone. out of nowhere about 15 turkeys flew 100 feet over my head. i heard something really loud, and turned around and the sky was black. those things make some noise when they fly. scared the livin hell out of me.

Comment

Realizing my scope rings were still on when a buck was about to cross a small shooting lane. I did manage to get them off and put a great double lung on it.

Comment

* sorry not scope rings, scope covers. I am not sure what I was thinking when I typed that.

Comment

Turkey hunting one time, saw another hunter coming in to my set-up, so I called to him in a clear voice "There is a hunter over here, to which he responds by swinging his shotgun back and forth(shooting post.) and yelling back "where are you, I don't see you". I Damn sure was'nt going to wave to this idiot, so I yelled again, "I'm hunting over here!"
                    Still swinging gun, where I still can't see you!
                    I responded "I'm fixing to show you where I'm at if you point that gun at me one more time.
                    I stoped turkey hunting for 5yrs because of this.

Comment

It wasn’t one of the scariest but one day in a area called Blue Water near Weed NM, I was hunting on horseback, blaze orange coat with blaze orange saddle bag. I was up on top of a ridge when I noticed two kids down bellow me to my right. I looked at them thru my binoculars and one of them had his rifle up and I can see the bluish haze thru the scope looking back. So I nudged Ol’Blazer and down we went and started the same greeting. Seen anything? The kid with the rifle replied nothing but does. The kid with the rifle I remembered from a Hunter Safety Course I assisted in Alamogordo NM. Don’t I now you, yes the kid said. Nice rifle can I see it so he handed me the rifle still with a round in the chamber. I opened the bolt and removed it and handed the boltless rifle back to the kid. Now go tell your father who I am, what you did and to get your bolt back I’m camped in Perk Canyon and you got until 5pm Sunday or you can pick your bolt up from Officer Mike from the State Police in Alamogordo. That evening the Father with the kid showed up at my camp apologized and told the kid age 14 he was thru for the season!

Comment

Nice, Clay. I haven't really had any scary moments yet. I try to be as careful as possible and keep myself out of those situations.

Comment

Clay will know what I'm talking about. A friend and I was dipping Salmon in the Copper river gorge. We stood on a little rock point and used a large dip nets to catch Salmon in the back eddy caused by the point we stood on. The roar of the river made it hard to hear. While my back was to my friend he slipped and fell into the river. He pulled himself out by catching a rock with fingertips. When I turned around my dripping wet friend was on hands and knees. If he had been swept away I would never have known what happened.

Comment

The scariest thing that ever happened to me was about 5 years ago. I was hunting deer during gun season with a friend, we were both wearing blaze orange and walking across a field. I could see another hunter in a stand about 600 yards away. Well this guy didn't have permission to hunt the land and got mad at us for walking towards him. He shot at us and put his bullet between my friend and I. Which was about 15 feet apart. I was so mad I could hardly stand it. I wish I knew then what I know now. I would have called the DNR and watched his butt get hauled off to jail. I thank God every time I think about it that neither of us got shot.

Comment

I was on a charter trip out of Pensacola Beach, FL, when a squall blew up between us and the shore. We ran around the worst of it, but both water and sky were black and lightning was crackling all around. It had been a bluebird day of 90 plus until we hit the outside edge of the storm and about a 20 degree temperature change. The pressure drop flipped my stomach, and we went from 2'-3' seas to 5'-8'. In a 28 foot boat, it wasn't nautical, but it was certainly sporty. The mate broke out the life jackets as we were starting our run. We were only 14 miles out, but it sure seemed like a long way.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad