Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who is your favorite current, living gun/hunting writer and why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wayne van Zwoll. He is a very good writer who is able to put together informative and entertaining stories that hold your attention. And you will learn a lot from him, too.

Comment

I vote for Bill Heavey, I like his sense of style!

Comment

John Barsness. He writes well and knows his gear and hunting.

Comment

Bill Heavey is one of the funniest writers I've read. Dr. van Zwoll's awesome, too.

Comment

I don't know if Pat McManus qualifies but I certainly enoy his writing. Otherwise Wayne Van Zwoll is good and I like a lot of what Hal Herring writes.

Comment

man, that's a loaded question! petzal and simpson rank at the top unless i am looking for something involving shotguns and then bourjaily is my favorite. i just know that i don't see heavey as a gun writer and he is out. barsness is a great one too. tough one here!

Comment

In addition to those mentioned, how about William Henry "Bill" Jordan (1911–1997), not the Realtree dweeb, and Elmer Keith? Google their bio. Might be good for a campfire and shot of amber beverage or two.

Favorites/why? Those old boys were the real deal....

Comment

I am a big fan of Massad Ayoob. His writings on personal defence, pistol shooting, and the Second Amendment are worth reading twice. Very knowledgeable.

Comment

I have to agree with wtf about Massad Ayoob. He often testifies as an expert witness in court proceedings on defensive shootings by law enforcement and armed citizens.

Comment

BINGO 99explorer

Comment

For me this is a very tough question because there are many that I like alot. Mr. Petzal (Gun loving New Yorker with a fine pen), Mr. Bourjailly (because he's a fine writing hunting dad) of course. Jim Zumbo wrote a piece a very long time ago about introducing hunting to his children that stayed with me all these years. Layne Simpson(he still shoots his father's L.C. Smith) is someone who's writing I really enjoy. I like Van Zwoll alot too. All of the above make me wish I was where they are and I find myself reading their stuff just because they wrote it. Although I'd want to bust Petzal's onions just keep him cranky. He's a riot when there's burr under his saddle. All of the above are tied for 1st place.

Comment

Hunter S. Thompson. Oh wait...he's dead

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Court Says.....
                            by jhjimbo
                            Can not restrict concealed carry.
                            Lawyer on TV says Court should look at history and tradition. If we did that we would be burning witches at the...
                            Today, 01:01 PM
                          • Reply to You guys are sleeping
                            by Danbo
                            What? How?
                            Are they not true?

Did I hit a nerve ?

Every thing I said is true. Our criminals have many handguns without...
                            Today, 12:56 PM
                          • You guys are sleeping
                            by fitch270
                            Can’t believe I’m posting this first.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/rcna17721
                            06-23-2022, 11:54 AM
                            by jhjimbo
                            I said a permit could stop someone who should not get one, period. All the other qualifiers you added and really, they sound stupid....
                            Today, 12:30 PM
                            by Danbo
                            The sheriff does it here in NY also but yet the criminals still have any firearms that they wan in NY. Ohio must have no gun violence if you think the...
                            Today, 12:26 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X