Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No one under the age of fifty really understands what Memorial Day is about. To them it's about BBQ and Party. What? Someone die

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Memorial Day is one of many holidays (derived from the words "holy days") to have lost their true purpose and meaning. What was meant to be a celebration of the birth of Christ is now strictly about a fat dude in a red leisure suit. What was a celebration of Christ rising from the dead is now all about candy eggs and a generous rabbit. What had been set aside as a day to offer prayers of thanksgiving is now just a day of gluttony and football. And on Memorial Day we forget and ignore all those who gave their lives to preserve our right to make light of all the holy days, or holidays if you prefer.

Comment

CJ...what is wrong with honoring both those who have served and made the ultimate sacrifice and those who have served and made it home on Memorial Day? Just because it means something a little different to other people than it might to you doesn't mean that all it is to them is a long weekend with BBQ's. I'm quite aware that it is to honor those who died while serving, but it's pretty tough to honor those men and women without thinking about and honoring those who fought beside them.

Comment

I am fifteen and I understand what this holiday is about completely. Every year I visit a local memorial for Vietnam, WW2, and Korean wars simply to pay my respects. I have the utmost respect for veterans and active duty military and I try to spread this type of respect with everyone I have an influence on.

Comment

Sorry gentlemen, but CJ GETS DETRACTED HEAVILY for telling the SPOT ON TRUTH? Seems you folks have forgotten the meaning of Memorial Day. I fought and lost friends as a Marine grunt in the Hit-Haditha Corridor in Iraq with RCT 7 in 2004-2005. I barely got out alive myself and had to grapple with the deaths of friends. My namesake, my father's young uncle, was killed in the Second World War, 15 days before the Nazis surrendered Italy. He was in the 10th MTN Division, 86-India. The regimental history shows that he fought heroically and survived the Riva Ridge campaign, but a machinegunner with the Panzer Grenadiers cut his 20-year-old life short and he is buried in the family plot in Kingsville, Texas. I memorialized a few of these brothers of mine, and our family's own sacrifice, and nobody give a sh#t. MEMORIAL DAY IS THE DAY WE MEMORIALIZE OUR WAR DEAD. IT IS NOT VETERANS DAY. I can't believe you all would detract from CJ's comment for pointing that out. Unreal.

Comment

texasfirst

My last word in post summed it up: "Clueless"!

Our veterans should be honored 364 days a year. Memorial Day is for honoring our war dead. You can't fix stupid and you can't fix dumbasses either. Their minus -1's just show their ignorance and does not hurt my feelings at all!

Comment

Agreed with CJ and texasfirst.

As some of you may Know, I served as a Marine Field MP. I also currently live and am about to own my grandfathers home. He was a WWII veteran that fought in the European theatre. I thank God he came back home and lived a happy life with his family before dying of old age back in 2005.

My point is HE CAME HOME. Some of his friends did not. Some of my friends did not come home either to their families and wives. Memorial Day is for these warriors that gave the ultimate sacrifice.

I am fine with people being wiith friends and family. Enjoy the outdoors, have a few beers, and eat some good old American BBQ. All I ask is to say a prayer or say thank you to the men and women who gave their lives to the altar of freedom. Without their sacrifices, we may not have the freedoms that we have today.

Comment

Semper Fi, whitetailfreek.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Court Says.....
                  by jhjimbo
                  Can not restrict concealed carry.
                  Lawyer on TV says Court should look at history and tradition. If we did that we would be burning witches at the...
                  Today, 01:01 PM
                • Reply to You guys are sleeping
                  by Danbo
                  What? How?
                  Are they not true?

Did I hit a nerve ?

Every thing I said is true. Our criminals have many handguns without...
                  Today, 12:56 PM
                • You guys are sleeping
                  by fitch270
                  Can’t believe I’m posting this first.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/rcna17721
                  06-23-2022, 11:54 AM
                  by jhjimbo
                  I said a permit could stop someone who should not get one, period. All the other qualifiers you added and really, they sound stupid....
                  Today, 12:30 PM
                  by Danbo
                  The sheriff does it here in NY also but yet the criminals still have any firearms that they wan in NY. Ohio must have no gun violence if you think the...
                  Today, 12:26 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X