Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can a 22. shoot through a golf ball? I want to use it for target practice.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rudyglove27
    replied
    Agreed with Golfing Sportsman and + 1 for you sir!!!

Leave a comment:

• KMB33
    replied
    thanks

Leave a comment:

• Golfing Sportsman
    replied
    Position those little green plastic army men toys around and shoot them, make yourself a WWII sniper and make every shot count, 1 shot 1 kill.

Leave a comment:

• KMB33
    replied
    Hunt fish you do realize that a 22. has nearly a 1500 yard effective range,so you can figure, 50 yard shot with a 22., at least a 1000 yards of ricochet, probably 200 yards of harmful ricochet, i would nt take the chance. So if you would want to endanger animals with stupidity go ahead but i will pass.

Leave a comment:

• hunt_fish_sleep
    replied
    A .22 shell would lose so much power acting on the golf ball and would be so severely deformed, that even if it did ricochet it would not have anywhere near enough power to kill livestock. Besides, how smart is it to be shooting near livestock?

Leave a comment:

• KMB33
    replied
    hunt fish, i would prefer not to kill the horses and cattle in the feed lot because i didnt know if the shot would go through. The last thing i eed is ricocheting bullets around my house.

Leave a comment:

• irbfishing
    replied
    yes i know from personal experience that a .22 will shoot through a golf ball but if you use soft hollow points it takes a couple shots to do it

Leave a comment:

• hunt_fish_sleep
    replied
    Instead of asking, why don't you just try it?

Leave a comment:

• jlfreeborn
    replied
    Reid, the funnest things I have ever shot are happy meal toys. They explode like you put a firecracker in the middle of em!!!

Leave a comment:

• FloridaHunter1226
    replied
    My friend just did this... and the answer is "no"... it will penetrate but it will not exit out the other side. You'll just have bump on the opposite side of where you shot it.

Leave a comment:

• lovetohunt
    replied
    Put a soup can on a string hanging from a low tree limb or something. Then on a windy day you have a nice moving target. Its lots of fun.

Leave a comment:

• Reid Jones
    replied
    oh dude you know what you need to try. if you want fun targets, i have PLENTY of ideas. a golf ball will probably move or roll unless you hit it really good. position a match so it's pointed upward, and try to skim the very top of it so it will light. that takes practice and skill. luck also. put quarters on a board or plywood or some kind of support. except put them sideways to see if you can split them. i've seen one where a took an axe and put it so the sharp side was facing him, and he put two cans on each side of the blade. kinda like this, 8 represents the cans, and the | is the blade. 8|8 . shoot at the sharp side of the blade and try to split the bullet(soft lead nose) and knock both cans down. now THAT takes skill.

Leave a comment:

• jlfreeborn
    replied
    the one i shot did not go through, and i hit it solidly. the golf ball wound up about 30 yds from where it was when i shot it and the bullet went who knows where...i wont be doing it again

Leave a comment:

• KMB33
    replied
    thanks
    just looking for more fun ways then just paper targets. Not like just shooting isnt fun, but if something flies away or explodes, it makes it even better.

Leave a comment:

• usmcturkey
    replied
    It may go through, most time when I shot them they would bounce off the side. If you only have them sitting on the ground this will happen. A bowling pin works well too.

Leave a comment:

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad