Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what is a good call for coyotes. and what gun a caliber should be used?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The best electronic call for coyotes is the Johnny Stewart High Pitched Cottontail (102C)

Best overall coyote rifle is the 22-250
    For deer and coyote 25-06
    And a 30-06 loaded with Hornady 130 grain soft points at 3350fps is dynamite and when Elk and Moose season comes around just crank the bullet weight up!

Ought to see what a Hornady 130 grain out of a 300 Win Mag at 3565fps is like?
    WOW!

Or you can push a 110 out a 30-06 at 3500 or 300 Win Mag at 3700!

There is life in the 30 cals!

Comment

I have had a lot of success with Primos coyote calls. I also would recomend getting an alectriv system if your state allows it and if you are financially able to. As for a caliber, a .223 is ideal but some people use shotguns, with special coyote loads (Remington or Winchester makes some I beleieve), that way the fur is not ruined as much.

Comment

Electric calls are obviously the easiest to use but good ones are quite pricey. I use a 220 swift and love it to death, but the 22-250 is a very similar round ballistically and is far more practical for most people.

Comment

i think that a .243 will do the job, it is not to big and not so small that you have to worry about wounding it and then losing it

Comment

I picked a Bushmaster Varminter in .223 and a 25-06 as my favorites for coyotes. The .223 is great if their are multiple targets and they are running like crazy. The 25-06 has been wonderful as well but it forces you to think of hitting them right on your first shot (always a good idea). Anything in between would do you well. If you want versatility for deer hunting and sportsmanlike hunting, the 25-06 (or something like the .243) is the way to go. If you want to slay every coyote you see and eradicate them from the face of the earth (or at least from your property), the .223 is the way to go. The wounded rabbit call is standard fare. Jackrabbit or cottontail depending on what the eat the most where you live.

Comment

Agreed with texasmcintyre and + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad