Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what is a good call for coyotes. and what gun a caliber should be used?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what is a good call for coyotes. and what gun a caliber should be used?

what is a good call for coyotes. and what gun a caliber should be used?

30/06 or a 17 HMR

Comment

A .22-250 or .223 is ideal. Use a wounded rabbit call.

Comment

whietailterror

Which rifles do you have now?
        For 30-30 and if you reload Sierra makes a 125 grain flat point hollow point or 100 grain Speer half jackets.

For 30-06 I flat out love the Hornady 130 grain soft point from Coyotes to Mule Deer!

Comment

For the call I would use a rabbit in distress, and as far as a caliber you can use any thing from a 17 HMR on up. If you want to keep the hides I wouldn't go any bigger than a .243. If I were to pick one caliber it would be the 22-250, it will do the job at 300+ yards.

Comment

A .223 or .243 would be the best. I have found out that a wounded rabbit call works the best

Comment

Comment

Any accurate rifle with a good scope will do you well. A lightweight varmint rifle is perfection.

Comment

I shoot a .223 Remmington 700 BDL SPS Varminter, awesome gun! I've killed 5 coyotes this past winter with it.

Comment

As for calls, I like the Verminator Reed Calls, and had some sucess with Primos Randy Anderson Predator Calls...

Comment

Primos lil dog and hot dog. With those two calls you can make ever sound you need too. They are also VERY easy to master.

Comment

what do you mean what gun caliber should you use? anything really! some people shoot coyotes with .17's and some shoot them with .308's. what guns do you have?? use the favorite gun that you have. about any rifle caliber works fine. probably not a 30-30 if you're going long range. i shot mine with a marlin 3030 at 125 yards, dropped it dead. but i wouldn't recommened it.

Comment

If you intend to purchase a varmint rifle, I think you'll find the .223 and .22-250 are excellent choices, but they're not the only tools in the shed. The .243 is an excellent recommendation for distant coyotes, as are a dozen or more other cartridges. Any rifle you own that can group with consistent accuracy is useful for coyotes; it doesn't require a heavy barrel (especially if you carry it afield or shoot well from the standing offhand position), but a heavy barrel is an asset if you usually fire from a rest or in the prone position. I often can't fire from the prone because the vegetation in front of me blocks my view of the varmint. When you know your effective distance, it's the time to exercise ethical judgment.
                          If you've zeroed at 50 or 100 yards and that coyote won't come any closer than 300+ yards, you really ought to hold your fire. Operate at the distances for which you've prepared. A coyote isn't difficult to kill with a properly placed bullet, but you want to avoid a sloppy shot. They will cling tenaciously to life and they'll hobble away on three legs, dying a protracted and painful death in a den or in dense undergrowth, which is absolutely to be avoided.
                          As for calls, I agree a wounded rabbit call works very well. I also use a hand-held bulb that sounds like a mouse or squirrel if I tap it correctly.

Comment

Don't forget about the new .204 sweet varmint round!

Comment

.54 cal CVA down to a .22 rimfire.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad