Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Your dog is very old and very sick and you know it's time to have him put to sleep. Do you do it yourself or take the dog to th

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If my dog had been hit by a car or was suffering and in mortal pain for some other reason I would shoot it to end it quickly. If it was a sort of terminal illness I would see if I could procure some sort of poison give it to her as a sort of final last meal, I would rather do it that way than have to shoot my best friend.

Comment

I did it myself once because that was the way a real man did it and still feel bad about it. Now I take them to the vet. It is a real sad event and there is no amount of money that makes me want to make it sadder.

Comment

Vet, the other route is easier said than done.

Comment

I COULDNT SHOOT MY PARTNER.THE ROUTE I WENT WAS OUR VET HAD A SHOT IT WAS QUICK AND PAINLESS.IT SMOOTHED A VERY SAD PROCESS IN LIFE.

Comment

I wasn't able to shoot my dog. I brought her into the vet and gave her proper respect to go out in peace.

Comment

I gotta go put a pup out of it's misery tomorrow. Dog didn't move all day today and when she took a couple steps she stumbled and couldn't get back up too quick. I'm thinking it's cancer due to the dogs age and the amount of weight shes lost. Buddy of mine had his put down a couple days ago and it cost him a couple hundred bucks. Thing is this guy doesn't have that kinda cash. Done it before ... always sucks and never gets any easier. Even if it's not your damn dog they always remind you of one you were close to.

Comment

A big problem is that the veterinary industry has mostly gone as corrupt as the so called Health Maintainance Orgs. When you have profit driven health care, whether for humans or animals generally they drive the rates as high as the public can bear (or higher). People cannot be allowed to profit from other beings pain and suffering. It is one thing to kill something to eat, or kill something to put it out of it's mizery, but when the executioner takes unfair advantage of the distraught, that's immoral.
                One of the things that made me quit workin' for the vet was the day two little Hispanic boys brought their mixed breed puppy to the animal hospital in their little red wagon with a compound fracture in a hind leg. The not-so compassionate vet sent them away. Of course there are good veterinarians, but the industry is self regulated to keep prices as high as possible. Veterinary schools are rare and difficult and expensive to enter. All of these factors work to focus the veterinary industry on profits not compassion towards suffering animals. Yes it is emotionally difficult to euthanize (shoot) your own sick or injured animal, but what is the choice if the vet wouln't come and you can't pay him anyway. Sometimes you just have to butch up and do it, for the sake of a nonhuman friend. At any rate since veterinary care has become driven by economics (the dismal science) the economics is this 2 cents for a .22 round versus something north of 80 bucks. That 80 bucks will sure buy a lot of feed for the living critters, not to mention the gas to drive the critter to the vet. At the Vet's the bodies get frozen in a freezer till they get incinerated. On the farm you dig a hole and get to pick out a nice big rock if the animal was that memorable. The vet will give you back the dog collar. I've had to do the math mor'n once and I know how the cards fell.
                There was that choice of a two cent dead billygoat or an eight hundred dollar dead billygoat. That was an easy choice! (next fullgrown billygoat I have to do I'm going to a bigger caliber though).

Comment

I do it myself for the past 30 years!!!

Comment

I've had 3 dogs in less than 40 years. One died in my wife's arms from an unknown bite. He took 4 days before allergic shock bled him out internally and he drowned trying to get back to a vet in the truck.Worst thing I've ever seen, ever.

My first and oldest got the injection after a 2 year old tumor ruptured on her leg and gangrene started. It was not as quick and easy as I thought and I buried her in the pouring rain afterward.

I just put down my last dog this morning. He started having skin problems early on and by age 10, he had become miserable. Couldn't walk from eating his legs raw. His fur was never coming back. We spent countless dollars and several years trying to treat him. He quit eating and wouldn't get up for days before I dug a hole and shot him in the head with a .22 pistol. It took days of racking my brain before I did it. The vet had already told me he would do it if I wanted. After the last 2 I decided to do it at home. It's not pretty but he was gone quicker than any of the others. Very sad but I had cried so much the last few nights with him it was time. It was right to end his suffering and a relief for it to be done.

Comment

I would do it myself. last little time with mans best friend.

Comment

I would do it myself. last little time with mans best friend.

Comment

I am so sorry for your loss my Shorkie is also that bad with skin problems. This last year there is a medication on the market I wish you had come across it sooner than now. APOQUEL. it was tested on only 300 but as you know what we went through with the skin problem is something that no dog should bare. It is equal to mange and a non stop itch. This is an allergy medication and it is taken daily not a steroid. No more 3-400 $$$$$$$ doctors visits. No more special infection shampoos. God Bless you and your future fur babies Please get the word out about this medication. If my dog dies from taking this it will have had a less painful death than that skin problem. A shorkie is a Shih Tzu Yorkie mix.

Comment

I know this is an old thread, but i found it today. My lab, my best friend, was hit by a truck this morning. It broke his back and both legs. No vets were open yet, and I couldn't watch him suffer. I wrapped him in a blanket and carried him out back. I kissed him, told him I loved him, put the blanket over his eyes, and with tears in my eyes and pain in my heart, I pulled the trigger and ended his suffering. Im 32 years old, and in my life I have never felt pain like that. I love you Thumper.

Comment

I had a rooster. Discovered one morning something had happened, his head was bare to the skull in a couple places, his whole upper beak was gone, only the nasal passage from inside it was left, bottom beak was badly cracked. I see my animals as much my responsibility as I would my kids. I once spent over $200 on surgery for a hen that'd been mauled by a dog. Took him to the vet, as I suspected nothing could be done. But he just kept fighting to stay alive. The drugs coy.uldn't even put him to sleep. The gas chamber couldn't knock him out either. It took more drugs and in the chamber again for 10 minutes more. And a couple hundred bucks .

Now we have an old Chiweenie. It's an actual breed, half dachsund, half chihuahua. Not sure how old, we got him 5 years back from someone who kept him in a barely large enough carrier except to do his business twice a day. A couple years ago he started developiong what they said are fatty tumors on his shoulder and stomach. Not cancer, just growths. They said surgery might be deadly 'cause he's so old and might not get rid of them anyway. He looks like he's lost sight in one eye from a cataract. That shoulder tumor reaches around across his chest, prevents him from jumping up more that a couple feet, used to jump all the way up onto the bed, now all he can get onto is a chair or the couch, and has at least some difficulty doing that. And it makes stairs difficult. Now I think he's lost urination cintrol. He'll go inside, even if someone's home and even though he knows just whining at the door will get him let out. So I think it's happening without warning. The wife says he needs to be put down. But he doesn't seem to be in pain, he's always happy, and will still run around, wagging his tail. The tumors don't seem to affect walking or running. Yet. And I don't even know how to do it. I know exactly where to shoot a horse so it's instrantaneous, but not a dog. And I know if he disappears it'll have an effect on his buddy, our German Shepherd. Hell, I hate this.

Comment

As the saying goes...friends come and go....nothing good last forever and anything beautiful nature hides.

With this bear in mind that the best of friends can't even understand you. But you must understand that you are more than a parent to these creatures...You are it's guardian angel ...and when the angel of death calls for it....with an understanding that your time with this creature is over for it too must go to another guardian in reincarnation. And you too must answer the call of another young creature in need of much love. Therefore heed and save your animal from suffering...Death is a promise to all creatures ....all our times will come but you have a choice as to how quickly your creature will pass....drugs are drugs and only humans can bear them... but these creatures will die faster than you...and they will grow older than you quicker and their bodies break down....DO NOT THE GREATEST AMONG US DIE YOUNG? It is better this way than to die a slower death...and for your creature to understand one day that it can no longer keep up with you...This is far worse than death....because somehow the animal must gain a human understanding that it will hope that after it is gone...another creature can love you just as much as you love it...

DO IT

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad