Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Your dog is very old and very sick and you know it's time to have him put to sleep. Do you do it yourself or take the dog to th

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your dog is very old and very sick and you know it's time to have him put to sleep. Do you do it yourself or take the dog to th

Your dog is very old and very sick and you know it's time to have him put to sleep. Do you do it yourself or take the dog to the vet?

Thats always a sad situation, on one hand if you do it yourself you know that the last thing you FRIEND will see is you-the constant object of affection and security in his life; while at the vet he will be around strangers in a place he doesnt like. However doing it your self is devastating- there have only been two times that I have seen my father cry, and one of them was when he put one of his dogs down. I have had one euthanized and it hurt- ... sorry I didn't help much it's just such a personal decision.

Comment

I agree with slotham. If the vet does it your dog is surrounded by stranger at the end. If you do it you willl be the last person he sees, and it may help ease his pain. I guess it is just a personall decision.

Comment

When my dog developed irreversible gastro-intestinal problems, I had the same dilemma. I decided to do it myself and borrowed the idea from the ending of "Of Mice and Men." I gave her a treat and when she bent down to eat it I shot her in the back of the head with my Dad's .38. I felt terrible, and some may say that is terrible, but it was really the humane thing to do because she was mortally afraid of the vet and would've died unhappy. This way she died quickly and without warning. It does take a lot to shoot your own dog, especially one that you love very much.

Comment

My dog hated the vet. Just the smell of the kennels and medicine from the parking lot had him running back to the truck. I didn't have the heart to make that his last memory. I did it myself. By far the toughest day of my life. That was 1999.

Comment

We've lost 4 animals due to advanced age. One was a cat that thought he was a dog I had 18 years.

I haven't seen animal put down like that since I was a child (I wasn't supposed to). And it was sickening. The dog did not die instantly. Is that the last thing you want a friend to know? A bang and pain?

Most animals that hate the vet. are, to my experience, not well socialized or even treated dogs. If you take the dogs or cats to the vet regularly for shots and checkups, and not just when they're injured too badly to treat yourself, they do not hate the place like that. Heidi loves to go meet dogs and people there.

Both of our dogs are rescues, and one was badly treated for the first 7 months of his life. He was a virtual basket case. Only Heidi, our terrier, could draw him out. My wife is amazing at training dogs, and now they will go to the vet. as easily as the park.

First, you can specify the "two-needle" method, which I would recommend. The dog is given a dose of relaxant, and helps the pain. We waited too long on one girl to make the decision, and she was clearly hurting. Everybody gets to say goodbye, and hug the dear, while the second shot is given. With a good vet. doing this, your pet has had a good treat, and goes to sleep while getting nuzzled in your arms. Tang just kind of sighed, and pushed into my face, then relaxed. I still miss him.

Second, you can get most vets to make a house call for this reason. The pet can be laying on the floor by the fireplace having a special treat when it's done.

I've seen animals die from trauma, including shooting, and I cannot say that the "old yeller" way is either humane or painless.

Comment

i would do it my self, besides weather treated bad or not most dong still hate the vet.

Comment

I took my dog to the vet when it came to that time... I was able to be with him the entire time and hold him while they were doing it. It was quite sad and is like loosing a best friend. Things like this are reasons why I question myself before getting a new dog... putting one to sleep is one of the hardest things I have done.

Comment

I would do it myself. I think that time is coming up within the year for the ol Gordon Setter. Sure it will be hard but I cant paying someone else to do it and she would want to go out in the wild...not some vets office.

Comment

OK first let me qualify this by saying I was raised on a farm with a kennel, but I have put down a bunch of dogs and a horse. The horse hurt the most but it had been hit by a car and was laid out. No brainer there. I would do it yourself, Jeff makes a very good point as do the others, it will be something you will remeber for the rest of your life so if you can't do it or have any reservation about it call the vet or one of your friends that aren't as attached. The last thing you need to do it break down in front of your dog and then have to shoot it more than once. Painful and messy for the animal

Comment

They have vets that will come out and do it at the house, so the animal will feel more comfortable.I say do it yourself."God Bless them, everyone".

Comment

I would take it to the vet. I would hate to have to shoot my dog. I got a blue heeler about a year ago. In his first months he caught parvo. So we took him to the vet, and i asked her if i should just go ahead and have him euthinized, or go along with the treatment. She said that he was in pretty bad shape, but she couldnt make that call. I didnt put him down and he made a full recovery. He is a tuff little guy. But it was even hard for me to put down a dog with a little bit of hope.

Comment

A bad sitiuation any way you do it. Have gone with buddies when they had to put down a pet, I don't think I could do it myself. Have seen missed point blank shots turn into tramatic situations with wounded pets not going quietly or peacfully. I think the vet would be the route I would pursue, especially if they would do it at your own home.

Comment

I would call the vet and see if he/she would come to your house and do it. I have done it both ways and having the vet come over was alot easier. I don't think that I would want the pressure of having to make sure that your did it right the first time again. It's hard enough to have one put down, but to have to do it your self with tears in your eyes makes it very hard to do it correctly on the first time.

Comment

I would do it myself, because I would save a couple grand.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad