Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

i've been lookin for air rifles and i think i found one that i might want to look into. it's a ruger, so i'm pretty sure it'l be

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i've been lookin for air rifles and i think i found one that i might want to look into. it's a ruger, so i'm pretty sure it'l be

i've been lookin for air rifles and i think i found one that i might want to look into. it's a ruger, so i'm pretty sure it'l be great quality. it shoots up to 1000 fps, which is fast. you can't beat $115 for that powerful of an airgun. but as i look on the reviews, it says that it kicks really hard. i don't understand that. it's an airgun, it can't kick that bad. do they really pack that much recoil? http://www.pyramydair.com/p/ruger-air-hawk-air-rifle.shtml read the second review and you'll know what im talking about. btw it is a .177 cal.

also i'm lookin into a Gamo Whisper..the reviews on it are good and it's 1200 fps..

Comment

When you say air rifles I'm going to assume you mean pellet guns. They can be great fun and they are powerful, so be careful. What your looking at will be good for squirrels, but if your serious look at Gamo. A little more expensive but I watched the video of that Hunter University guy kill a wild hog with one. Head shot of course, but the rifle he used launched the pellet at 1500fps I believe.

Comment

Reid, I just re-read your post and about the kick, no there's no kick. What it may have meant is if your going to scope it get a good airgun scope. Did you know you can't put a centerfire rifle scope for a 270 on an airgun? The scope will get ruined. Buy a proper scope.

Comment

Airguns have reverse recoil, and standard scopes are not designed for that.

Comment

Ruger does not make a pellet gun. I've seen the one you are referring to. It is not MADE by Ruger, they just stamped their name on it. The quality of it is sub-par. Go with a Gamo.

Comment

hunt_fish_sleep is right. The gun brands seem to just license their name to air rifle companies. My Winchester S1000 (which is real nice, by the way) is actually an "adult Daisy".

Comment

The 'recoil' typically comes with a spring-piston type of action. When the trigger is pulled, a large spring-driven metal pistol is driven FORWARD towards the breech of the barrel, driving air behind the pellet and propelling it out of the barrel. There is therefore a great deal of vibration in the process, the sudden slamming of the piston against the breech, and the forward motion that goes with that. It will move the rifle but should not cause discomfort to the shoulder.

This type of mechanism WILL put unanticipated stress on scopes, which are normally built for the rearward recoil of firearms, and this is why you normally need a scope specifically designed for air rifles on these types of rifles - compressed air types may not need that type of scope to the same degree, since they lack that level and direction of motion.

Comment

wyates is right on it! The recoil notice is for the intense reverse spring action of the air rifle that shakes the brains out of a traditional center fire rifle scope... you need a special scope. The actual felt recoil is really not much worse than a .375 H&H (just kidding).

Comment

Agreed with wyates and + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad