Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I have been interested in taking a camping trip down a local river for fishing and/or hunting. I could use any help anyone is wi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have been interested in taking a camping trip down a local river for fishing and/or hunting. I could use any help anyone is wi

I have been interested in taking a camping trip down a local river for fishing and/or hunting. I could use any help anyone is willing to give to me on safety, gear...etc.

Along with the normal camping gear, ie. tent, sleeping bag, something to cook in/on, your going to want to make sure you have an axe for chopping fire wood, two or three different ways to start a fire, and a good first aid kit. Depending on if you have to hike in or if you can just drive to your camping spot, you should make sure you have extra fishing/hunting gear, it's never fun to run out of a bait or lure when you are catching fish. If you are hiking in, try to pack as light as you can while still keeping all of your essential gear. If you can drive in, load up the bed of the truck with anything and everything you may need, you can never over prepare. Also what helps me is during the camping trip, I write down things that I wish I would of brought, or that would have made camping easier. This way next time you go will no what worked for you and what didn't. Hope this helps sorry it was so long.

Comment

I almost forgot,if you take an axe make sure you take a file to sharpen it after you use it. Believe me it will make life a lot easier while chopping or cutting wood for the fire.

Comment

I like to travel light when Im floating a river for the simple fact that a heavy boat is a sluggish boat...Another advantage of floating a lightly loaded boat is that you'll have less gear to carry in case you have to portage...I dont know about your area's water quality but to save weight and space bring along a backpacker's water purification filter and a couple of empty collapsible jugs...

Safety wise, make a float plan and give it to someone responsible...Stick to the plan as much as possible...
        Carry a sharp knife attached to your flotation vest in case you need to cut yourself free from entanglements should you capsize...Keep a reliable, waterproof fire-starting kit on your person at all times...If you capsize or go overboard, it will save your life...Carry a charged cell phone or other emergency locator in case you become stranded...Be safe and have fun!

Comment

i dont know what the water condition is like where youre at but a small camelback comes in alot of use you can buy purification pellets to throw in the back and if your fishing a fly fishing vest comes pretty convient in case you see something you have it right there

Comment

A couple of things I always carry that have not been mentioned are a headlamp, keeps your hands free, and a Leatherman Wave because you can do so much with it. I am not sure if you want to go alone but bring a buddy also, two are definitely stronger than one in case anything should happen. And don't forget a camera, you have to take a pic of that big trophy fish .

Comment

This is more of another "question" added to the comment posted by sere9501....
              What is a "Leatherman Wave"?
              Im confused on that.

Comment

a small 2oz bottle of paint thinner will start a fire in no time, even with wet wood.

Comment

even if you dont end up hunting....bring a gun just in case to scare of animals or kill an animal if necessary

Comment

ben,
                    the leatherman wave is like a multitool thing. their like 60 bucks so id but a cheaper version first to see if you like it

Comment

Take all that stuff bring an extra change of clothes a phone charger or keep a cell phone handy. get a dry bag to put your stuff in. A good life vest and a camp stool or folding chair will be great. If your sleeping in a tent a mat of some kind will save your back. Do the float plan or at a minimum tell someone where your going and when you'll be back. Don't forget the camera and more than anything HAVE FUN!!!

Comment

Keep a cell phone handy!

Comment

Keep a cell phone handy!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Recoil pads revisited
                            by Pmacc60
                            Sunday morning and I’m going through rifles because you got me thinking about this. Here is what I came up with, all are current hunting rifles and...
                            Today, 08:16 AM
                          • Recoil pads revisited
                            by dewman
                            When I was redoing the base/ring & swivel setup on the old '06 yesterday my pal sitting there with me asked if I was going to add a recoil pad. Probably...
                            Today, 07:36 AM
                          • Reply to Pelosi and the VP candidate !
                            by FirstBubba
                            As far as I'm concerned, who-(whom?)ever is selected, if Biden is elected, they will, in time, become an Obama puppet.
                            Right now, the push seems...
                            Today, 07:57 AM
                          • Pelosi and the VP candidate !
                            by bowhunter75richard
                            Pelosi states that the VP candidate is of no consequence ! Is this largely felt to be true ? In this election, I would think it to be of the utmost...
                            Today, 06:38 AM
                          • Reply to Winchester Model-12 12 Gauge Shotgun Issue
                            by FirstBubba
                            RazzRJB, I don't guess it makes much difference why it's missing. LOL! Because it isn't attached, I've had them just "fall" out unnoticed....
                            Today, 07:48 AM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X