Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What would the best turkey choke for a Remington 870 Express Magnum?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What would the best turkey choke for a Remington 870 Express Magnum?

What would the best turkey choke for a Remington 870 Express Magnum?

I use a primos tight wad choke in mine, but I've got a couple of friends that swear by thier Undertaker choke. Whatever choke you use, you'll want to try different loads to see which ones pattern the best for you. In my 870 I like the winchester supreme #5 shot.

Comment

I've got the undertaker in mine. Shooting 3" #6 Remingtons, it shoots a very good group out to 40 yds. At 25 yds, it just gets ugly for a bird.

Comment

I would say it depends. Mainly depending on what range you expect to shoot turkeys. If you are like most of us and want maximum range to down a bird thats hung up out there aways I really liked my patternmaster. They are a bit pricey compared to others but they work great. I currently just shoot the newer Federal loads that have the Flight Control wads out of my modified choke. Shoots just as tight but it takes some punishment away by not forcing 2 ounces of shot thru a very tight choke.

Comment

I use the factory Xtra’Full choke that came with it and it works fantastic!

Comment

If you want to really reachout there use turkey loads with high density shot. It patterns better than lead and holds velocity better. A #6 HD pellet penetrates like #4 lead and you get more pellets. They are expensive but you only need a few. Can't remember ever firing one and not getting the bird. Longest shot was 64 measured yards. Don't do that at home I am a professional. Just kidding the 23 lb bird was much farther than I realized at the time, but he flopped at the shot. Had long spurs too.

Comment

About the choke any good turkey tube will work but you should experiment with loads. I have Patternmaster, Comp'n and factory tubes. I use the Comp'n choke most of the time.

Comment

I use the factory provided extra full and super full chokes.

Comment

i use cabelas xtra full .680 tube with heavy shot#13,5 shot,2 ounce 3 inch magnum at 40 yds it put 30 pellets in 3 inch circle heavy shot dont pattern well with tight choke tube ive tried them all i killed a turkey at 63 yds. i tried fed,winchester,remington none shot as good as this combination try it youll like it.

Comment

i use cabelas xtra full .680 tube with heavy shot#13,5 shot,2 ounce 3 inch magnum at 40 yds it put 30 pellets in 3 inch circle heavy shot dont pattern well with tight choke tube ive tried them all i killed a turkey at 63 yds. i tried fed,winchester,remington none shot as good as this combination try it youll like it.

Comment

Agreed with Del in KS and + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

I use 2 chokes --the tru glo and undertaker models they throw excellent patterns and my gun is well respected at the local "turkey shoots" which use #8 dove loads.

Comment

Originally posted by chris95 View Post
                          I use a primos tight wad choke in mine, but I've got a couple of friends that swear by thier Undertaker choke. Whatever choke you use, you'll want to try different loads to see which ones pattern the best for you. In my 870 I like the winchester supreme #5 shot.
                          First thing you have to know is that ALL guns are different and like different combos. Even the same models (I.e. 870sm, 500's, 835's, etc.) will shoot different combinations of tubes and shells different. For instance, most 870s shoot the Undertaker choke from HS Strut great but mine doesn't like them at all. I've used those, factory fulls and extra fulls, Cabelas and others with at least 12 different shell combinations over the past few years and last I took the advice of a friend and bought a Kicks Gobblin Thunder .655 and use the Longbeard XR's in 3-3 1/2" #5 shot and the pattern is Amazing!! I have never feel in love with a choke and shell combination so fast. My buddy shoots one in his Banelli with the same shells in #6 shot and the patterns are almost identical. He uses a .595 I Think.. But that's my two cents, they are priced really well and you can find one cheaper online than what they sell them for at the actual Kicks website. I think I bought mine from Midway.com for somewhere around $40. Hope it helps and good luck to everyone this spring!

C.M.

Comment

Originally posted by Ivan Salis View Post
                            I use 2 chokes --the tru glo and undertaker models they throw excellent patterns and my gun is well respected at the local "turkey shoots" which use #8 dove loads.
                            first of all to answer this you have to be shooting a 870. i use a jellyhead .665 choke from primos. i use Winchester Long Beard XR LOK'D & Lethal 12 gauge 3 in 1 3\4 oz. #5 shot my barrel length plus the choke is 26 2\3 in. I patterned the 870 magnum at 50 yds using 3 different turkey loads the best for my 870 was the Winchester Long Beard XR i shot three times best in 10 in circle was 93 pellets at 50 yds the other 2 shots scored 79 and 86 pellets in 10 in circle at 50 yds. You have to do ur own trial and error on which combo works in ur 870 the best every weapon shoots differently. best way to start is to get a nice tight choke tube and start shooting different turkey loads and see what happens. next year i am going to try a Jebs Head Hunter Turkey Choke 12 Gauge choke size .650 a little pricey at $105.00 but every review i have read about it is very outstanding for long range killing of turkeys 50 to 75 yd kill shots are common.

Comment

I shoot a 870 magnum and here is the best combo that i have found since starting turkey hunting back in the spring of 2000. first of all this is an area of turkey hunting that is constantly changing and improving, one combo might work great one year and the next there will probably be a better combo.I have a Primos Jellyhead choke tube .665 dia. i shoot Winchester Long Beard XR LOK'D & Lethal SHOT-LOK lead turkey loads 12 gauge 3in 1200fps 1 3\4oz. #5 shot my barrel length plus the choke tube is 26 2\3 in. I patterned my 870 at 50 yds. i shot three times the best i got was 93 pellets in a 10in circle the other two were 77 and 86 pellets in a 10in circle at 50 yds. Killed a nice fat gobbler back on May 6th of this year. dropped him like a hot rock at 44 yds not even a wing flap went down hard and stayed down. he weighed in at 27 1\8 lbs 9 3\4 in beard and 1 in spurs.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad