Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I've only been duck hunting for about 3 years, and the dog my friend was training was recently hit by a car. Being only 17 I'm l

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've only been duck hunting for about 3 years, and the dog my friend was training was recently hit by a car. Being only 17 I'm l

I've only been duck hunting for about 3 years, and the dog my friend was training was recently hit by a car. Being only 17 I'm looking for a dog breed other than a lab, that's cheap, easy to train, not beagle-stupid, and listens well. And any information on breeders in the Toledo, Ohio area would be much appreciated. Thanks.

If you're looking for a retriever labs are really the best way to go. Golden retrievers will work or even cheasapeak bays but I don't know if you be able to find them "cheap". Wirehaired German Pointers are versatile also, but one of the retriever breeds would really be best .

Comment

Exactly as herbie said. What do you have against labs? they are excellent retrievers, very smart, and in MOST cases easy to train. I'd strongly recommend a lab and if you look hard enough, you can get papered labs for about $300.00

Comment

A lab is your best bet. I think females are easier train and are less hard headed. Just an opinion... As for Beagles being stupid...? I've have kept and run Beagles for most of my life. As a breed they are loyal, intelligent and make great companion animals. I had a female beagle once who figured out how to climb a ladder (I was using it to clean out gutters) up onto the roof of my house. The ladder was in my fenced in back yard where she stayed. She then would go across the roof to a porch roof jump down, then off the porch roof onto a deck. She figured it out all on her own. She was a fantastic rabbit dog as well...

Comment

Well beekeeper I've grown up with and around beagles coming from a family of rabbit hunters they are the only pets I've ever really had, and nothing against the breed. they are one the best dogs in almost all catagories. But by beagle-stupid i simply meant eating everything in sight and so intent on their quarry they pay no attention to anything wether its you yelling or a car horn

Comment

Deaddiver, I've grown up around labs and have had some pretty thick headed ones. Like beekeeper said the females are a usually easier to train. All of ours were from pointing background and we sold our puppies for $200. You should be able to find a good lab from anywhere between $100 and $300, but make sure you ask about the bloodlines and if they have any hip issues at least a couple generations back.

Comment

Yeah don't want to beat the same old drum but I have to agree about a lab. They are so popular you can find that they can be quite inexpensive and papers or not they all love to retrieve. I rescued an adult chocolate and he cost me nothing, I could turn him into a hunter but he is the pet, my female chocolate is the hunter. As for other breeds there are goldens but every one I have met has been dumb as rocks, flat coated retrievers would do but they are too rare and you will likely spend a mint on one. Hope this helps.

Comment

Have you considered a Weimeraner? I have heard they are good dogs for all types of hunting but especially as bird dogs. Now I know at 17 $300 was hard to come by so consider animal rescue sites. We had to give our purebred Weims away and we used a resuce site to get them a great home. Perhaps you can find the same. Also the first dog we had was a Beagle and she was a great dog. We have now had three major hunting types of dogs, Beagles, Weims and a black lab still...now if I only hunted!

Comment

they are crossing German Shorthairs and Labs down here and getting some pretty good dogs. Since they are still considered a mutt they don't bring a premium. I think what he is refering to in the lab stupidity issues is the fact that they are overbred and energetic most people have them as pets and never train them to do anything. I did have a 3 year old that someone gave me that wasn't too bright hence the low cost

Comment

Labs are really the best way to go!

Comment

Comment

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad