Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I want to get into trapping. What are good traps for muskrat? If anyone has any they dont want i would be willing to buy for a r

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I want to get into trapping. What are good traps for muskrat? If anyone has any they dont want i would be willing to buy for a r

I want to get into trapping. What are good traps for muskrat? If anyone has any they dont want i would be willing to buy for a reasonable price

Condibears.Pan traps are OK if you use a drowning set otherwise if you don't check your traps 3 times a day muskrats will chew their leg off to escape. Condibears work well in runs and under water in front of den holes and they kill by suffocation.

Comment

Make sure you check your regulations, certain traps or sets may not be legal. I know in PA that Conibears can only be set in a watercourse, so look at the regulations for your state. Furthermore, make sure whether or not a trapping course is required in your state to get a trapping license. As far as traps, go small for 'rats, #110 coni's and #1 coil-spring and longspring. If you don't know the size of the trap, it should say right on it, just look close. A foothold trap too big won't be sensitive enough or close around the foot of the animal, so it won't do the job properly, and if you have traps that get lost or broken because the raccoons have invaded your sets, go one size larger on your footholds, a #1 1/2 coilspring or #11 longspring, and you'll catch both coons and 'rats. And if you use footholds, use a drowning set, just as Walt Smith mentioned. Also, do some searches for fur-trapping, you should come up with sites that'll tell you more than I can.

Comment

Agreed with Huntersteve and + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad