Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what's your take on a mannlicher rifle stocks..i personally think they're UGLY!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what's your take on a mannlicher rifle stocks..i personally think they're UGLY!

what's your take on a mannlicher rifle stocks..i personally think they're UGLY!

Reid: You're right they are ugly. I believe that they originally were derived from military rifle styling as the only reason I could ever figure for the extra wood was so you could hang onto the barrel and use the weapon as a club when ammo was exhausted. If the barrel is 22 inches or less I really like them and would buy one of the various Europeans, a Ruger, a Winchester M-70, or a Sako in a second. Do you remember the Mannlicher stocked 10/22s called the International? Also John Wooters allegedly has the most photographed Mannlichers in the world which was his primary whitetail rifle. It is a Sako Forrester in .308. Dandy little rifle.

Comment

The first rifle I ever bought was a 10/22 with a mannlicher stock. It is stainless with a stainless scope and over and under scope mounts. I don't think I would like the sock in a larger barreled rifle. But I love it on my ruger!

Comment

Reid, I think your wrong, just in my opinion. Mannlicher stocks are a work of beauty in their own right. Strange, but beautiful.

Comment

Have you ever seen an original Mannlicher Schoenauer? It's a work of art.

Comment

My first rifle was a 10/22 with the mannlicher stock. When I was younger I thought the same way as you Reid, but once I got a little older, I strted to appreciate the looks of that gun more. It's a pretty neat little gun that has a tendency to grab some attention when I go out and shoot it.

Comment

Shane and Jim I agree with you guys. Built right, they are quite lovely.

Comment

I consider the Mannlicher-style stock particularly attractive on a woods carbine, but readily acknowledge it does not appeal to everyone. I fully agree with Shane; the Mannlicher-Schoenauer carbine of the '50s with butterknife bolt handle and set triggers was a beautifully made classic.
                I've seen a number of attempts at a Mannlicher-style stock that fell short on looks and practicality due to inferior wood, second-rate stock profile or metalwork.
                Functional and attractive contemporary models are the Ruger #1 RSI "International" and the Model 77 RSI, but one of the most attractive and sensible (in my opinion) is the Remington Model 7 MS with laminate stock; it's a head-turner that handles well and points naturally (I think the the 7mm-08 or .308 makes a great deal of sense).
                I have a Winchester Model 70 Lightweight Carbine (20-inch barrel) in .250 Savage, and I'd be delighted to find a quality full-length stock for it!

Comment

I think they have good looking stocks mainly from the rareness and oddity of them. I had a Ruger 77 in 308 and sold it within a month. I really liked the rifle but everytime I took it out of the case I had someone wanting to buy it!

Comment

Agreed with Beekeeper and + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad