Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what do you guys think about the little .17 caliber rifles. i think there toys, rather than a rifle. i would rather be shooting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what do you guys think about the little .17 caliber rifles. i think there toys, rather than a rifle. i would rather be shooting

what do you guys think about the little .17 caliber rifles. i think there toys, rather than a rifle. i would rather be shooting a 22. also, 22 ammo is cheaper than 17.

Do you mean the 17 HMR. I you are those are so fun to shoot.

Comment

17 lets ya reach out there further than a 22 or a 22 mag and due to its pointed bullit spape and velocity has better ballistics across the board but the amo is more exspensive so if your shootn in that 0 to 75 yd range take the 22 if it is more take a 17 hmr or a 204

Comment

i dont see the .17 as a toy at all

Comment

the .17 HMR is a beast. It shots a lot faster then a .22 lr and a lot further. But ya the bullets are $13 for 50, a lot more expensive then .22 lr.

Comment

I shot a apple with a .17 one time, thinking there would just be a nice little hole through the middle of it. WRONG! That apple dissentegrated like you'd shot it with a .30/06. The .17's are no joke!

Comment

really..from my experience with shooting targets with it, i really thought it was more of a rodent gun..

Comment

Yeah, I was shocked, myself. I never thought it would have released that much energy into an apple!!! When I pulled the trigger, the apple literally disappeared. It was friggin awesome!!!

Comment

cool..stupid kid from my school shot a deer with one and it didn't die anywhere close. they searched for a couple hours. it only left a little blood. then again it might of been a bad shot

Comment

He may have actually killed the deer eventually, but the little bullet disintegrated on impact and never made an exit hole. Shooting a deer with anything that little is just a bad idea. You should have more respect for the animal than that.

Also, I have heard from people that squirrel hunt that shooting a squirrel with a .17 does twice the damage of a .22.

Comment

yeah he's an idiot. he has no respect for any animal. he probably did kill it.

Comment

No gun is a toy, The .17 will kill yotes and completely destroy a squirrel, not something I'd call a toy.

Comment

well of course no guns are toys. i just thought it was more of a little rodent, pest control type rifle. the kind of thing you use when you sit on your front porch and shoot gophers with

Comment

I love my 17! We had a gentleman on our lease who actually took a few hogs with his. I dont remember if he ear holed them or through the eye. But that just shows you how deadly any gun is with a accurate shooter.

Comment

Reid, dude, where do you live? I would love to shoot gophers off my front porch!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad