Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I know this question is not about hunting but i have a problem and i cant seem to find a good solution. i have 3 new chickens t

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I know this question is not about hunting but i have a problem and i cant seem to find a good solution. i have 3 new chickens t

I know this question is not about hunting but i have a problem and i cant seem to find a good solution. i have 3 new chickens that i got the other day but my other chikens i have had for a while want to peck them all the time, run them away from the food and fight on them. does anyone out there have any suggestions on what i could do.

I think I'd be having me a chicken fry....

Comment

Put their food in a couple of different spots. They're just picking on the new guys and it will be over with soon.

Comment

Bobby,

This is an example of how the term "Pecking Order" came about. Any time you mix chicks, pullets or mature chickens this "pecking" will happen as the older chickens will have established a dominance or pecking order.

When introducing a new chickens to a flock it is often necessay to place a barrier between the groups for 1-2 weeks. This can be as simple as a wire barrier dividing a brooder. Feed the 2 groups next to the barrier an in 1-2 weeks they should be used to each other and the pecking will stop.

When introducing new stock always make sure thay are the same size as the other birds. This will help prevent the younger smaller birds form being picked (pecked) upon.

Comment

beekeeper is 100% right, I have had chickens since I was about 8 years old. All they are doing is establishing pecking order.

Comment

In the coop if you have a problem put red cellophane over the windows. It will calm them down.

Comment

Jim in MO: there is a guy who lives near me that has the red cellophane over the windows of the coop in which he raises pheasants for release. I always wondered why, no doubt for the same reason you mentioned.
              bobbywade: a properly placed load of #8's would solve your problem and make a tasty dinner as well, just kidding.

Comment

I'm not sure this guy knows what this site is about!

Comment

thanks guy this is some really helpful information

Comment

Agreed with Beekeeper and + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad