Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm trying to trap some beavers to control property damage. Does anyone have any good tips for getting started? I'm new to sport

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm trying to trap some beavers to control property damage. Does anyone have any good tips for getting started? I'm new to sport

I'm trying to trap some beavers to control property damage. Does anyone have any good tips for getting started? I'm new to sport, and one can only learn so much from google and youtube.

find there "runs" under the water and where they enter there dam i like 330 coni's but some people use snares opps forgot footholds also you can make all kinds of set with foot holds for bait use popular if you have it other wise birch twigs also work some good sets as well as some books with sets are advertized in fur-fish-game magzine check it out

Comment

check out the links below. They provide good info as well as photos and drawings of how to make the sets.

http://www.ncwildlife.org/pg07_WildlifeSpeciesCon/pg7f1f1.htm

http://www.ngpc.state.ne.us/hunting/guides/furbearer/TM-beaver.asp

http://www.fishwildlife.org/Furbearer/Aug%202006%20BMPs/Beaver_rev6.pdf

http://www.npwrc.usgs.gov/resource/mammals/furtake/beaver.htm

Comment

I think the easiest and most efficient way is with conibear traps.

Comment

I'm with jay. I also trap on my friends land for controling them. Use a size 330 trap and if its legal, you an alter the dam. Tear out the dam just a little wider than the trap. Then get some sticks and set them up around the trap to make sure they won't go around. Most states say the the conibears have to be underwater but check your regulations.

Comment

We hired a trapper for our VT beavers once, but then I decided my Savage 1899 in .300 Savage and Winchester 94 in .32 Win.Spc. made for pretty good traps.

Comment

Yeah I have tried hunting them but they only come out at night. Its illegal to hunt for anything after sunset unless you're hunting coons.

Comment

Great Link Beekeeper and + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• More on crawfishin' lightfoot lindsey grahm
                  by crm3006
                  Wow: Lindsey Graham Refuses to Issue Big Tech Subpoenas

Un-be-lievable.

Lindsey Graham swore up and down that he would
                  Today, 05:22 PM
                • Reply to Rest Easy
                  by FirstBubba
                  "... I took your advice and blocked the slimy nine and the red rodent, ..."

Welcome! It's pretty sad to rant and rave on a blog...
                  Today, 04:39 PM
                • Rest Easy
                  by jhjimbo
                  Rest easy 2nd amendment, you are safe now - for the time being....
                  Yesterday, 08:55 PM
                • Reply to Rest Easy
                  by 99explorer
                  Even if the Democrats take the White House and the Senate, it will still take 60 Senate votes to kill the filibuster, because of the filibuster!
                  Today, 03:02 PM
                • Reply to Rest Easy
                  by jhjimbo
                  They know IF Trump wins and holds the Senate and picks up some down ticket it will mean the end of the Dem party for at least ten years if not more....
                  Today, 02:39 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X