Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

JLFREEBORN. this is for you because i know you own the rifle, but anybody else that would like to respond is welcome. is the Rug

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JLFREEBORN. this is for you because i know you own the rifle, but anybody else that would like to respond is welcome. is the Rug

JLFREEBORN. this is for you because i know you own the rifle, but anybody else that would like to respond is welcome. is the Ruger M77 Hawkeye equipped with a free floating barrel? can you slip a dollar bill inbetween the barrel and stock?

uhhh...that, I don't know. LOL. I'll check for you sometime tomorrow. I don't really see why it matters though since I can put 2 shots in the same hole at 100 yds with it.

Comment

...and, no it's not. I couldn't wait till tomorrow. LOL. It is a fantastic rifle, and I don't think you will go wrong with it.

Comment

...by the way, I just looked on the Ruger website, and EVERY new hawkeye comes with the scope rings. If the one you buy doesn't, somebody swiped them!!!

Comment

I have a Hawkeye in 7mm rem mag and no its is not free floating, but mine is pretty accurate.

Comment

I have never pulled a Hawkeye apart or even examined one closely so this may not be correct regarding this newer model. However the old model Ruger M-77s that I had all utilized an angled bolt in front of the magazine to attach that portion of the action to the stock. When tightened it also pulled the barrel snug against the front of the forearm. You could dink around with this screw and adjust your point of impact especially as the barrel warmed up from quick repetitive firing. This is system was not free floating and different from any other method I have encountered but it worked.
            Also on the old models the triggerguards and floorplates were anodized and easily scratched. One day I noticed in the factory parts list that the .458 had blued steel parts. I ordered triggerguards and floorplates for all my long actioned Rugers since obviously that was the only way they came for the .458. Way back when this was not a pricey thing to do and it sure made the M-77s look a lot better.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad