Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Grandpa owns the Ruger M77 in a 220 Swift. He's always bragging about how great of a rifle it is, how smooth of a trigger it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Grandpa owns the Ruger M77 in a 220 Swift. He's always bragging about how great of a rifle it is, how smooth of a trigger it

My Grandpa owns the Ruger M77 in a 220 Swift. He's always bragging about how great of a rifle it is, how smooth of a trigger it has, how comfortable the gun is. He seems to think he owns the greatest rifle ever made. I told him that Ruger came out with the Ruger M77 Hawkeye. He asked me what the difference was and I told him the stock was more ergonomic than the old M77, the floor plate is re-designed to eliminate the factor of dumping all of your cartridges out, the LC6 trigger, the new Mauser extractor, and of course the 3 position safety. He tells me the trigger isn't any better than the old ones. I'm planning on buying the M77 Hawkeye in a .25-06. Is he correct about the trigger? Or is it better than the old M77? As my topic asks, Is the Ruger M77 Hawkeye greater than, less than, or equal to the old Ruger M77?

Your grandpa may own a dandy.

Comment

but i dont think it's as good as the says it is. he DOES have a nice leupold scope on it though.

Comment

im sure its good. a choice of guns is what you feel is right for you. i dont feel there is a better or worse gun just what works for you.

Comment

Asking this Old Fart? LOL!

I like two position safeties best that lock the bolt closed and I came close on buying the M77 Hawkeye. Because it had the three position, I bought the Remington 700CDL 25-06 instead!

Comment

clay cooper,
            the gun you list is the rifle that im getting! maybe unless i ask for the bow instead....

Comment

I prefer the trigger on my thirty year old heavy barrel M-77 .22-.250 to the second generation versions. Note that almost as soon as the later variation of M-77s hit the market so did after market triggers. Give one a try and you will no doubt understand the reason. I never liked the tang safety on my old Ruger. More than once I happened to notice that it somehow had been inadvertantly moved to the fire position when I assumed it was still on safe. I have heard friends say they had the same problem with their rifles. A fellow who works for me even took his old M-77 to a local gunsmith to have it tightened so as to make it more difficult to move into the forward or fire position. If I were going to buy a new 77 I would have a Timney or Canjar installed. I can live with the safety but frankly don't admire winged safeties of any kind.

Comment

My brother has an m77 in .280rem. It's about a dozen years old. He loves it.

Comment

Reid,

Your Grand Pa has one of the first generation rifles with an adjustable trigger. They haven't made that rifle in over 20 years. The new rifle and the LC6 trigger are an improvement over the second generation M77MKII's which had a terrible trigger. The Hawkeye I have has a very good trigger out of the box that breaks at a hair less than four pounds but feels lighter due to the design changes in the Hawkeye.

Buy the Ruger and quit driving yourself and everyone else crazy with same questions over and over again...

Comment

haha. beekeeper. sorry i'm doing this but i have to. i'm 14, and i'm going to be wasting my WHOLE ENTIRE summer away working so i can buy myself a rifle. i'm not gonna skimp out at by a gun that i'm not satisfied with.

Comment

Reid,

Honest work is never a waste of time, especially if you are working for someting you will enjoy and treasure. Enjoy your youth. One day you will have to work the WHOLE ENTIRE YEAR FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE, so that you can buy rifles and also pay your mortgage and send your kids to school... This summer will be good practice for that day!

Ruger makes a very good rifle. They are not perfect and neither are any of the rifles out there. The older guys, some of them with quite a bit of moss growing on them, have given you good advice. You are wise to check out your purchase before hand.

Ruger has refined their products over the years and in the case of the M77/Hawkeye, through three different progressions. The Hawkeye is an excellent rifle. Controled round feeding, 3 positon safety, good, hammer foreged barrel, excellent stock profile and nice checkering. The trigger is about as good as you will find on a factory rifle, with the exception of the Savage Accutrigger.

The best discription of the Hawkeye I have heard came from a seasoned magazine writer and Alaska guide. He said the Ruger Hawkeye is a modern day pre 1964 Winchester. That is high praise!

Remember when buying a gun you will receive a lot of free advice and opinions. Just remember opinions are like a nose. Everyone has one...

Comment

Agreed with Beekeeper answer above and A + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad