Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I shot a pitbull yesterday morning with my bow. Story is the first answer. Make sure you read it before posting anything under

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jane Clarke
    replied
    In many locations, people are allowed to shoot any dog chasing, deer, elk, moose, or whatever, or bothering a domestic animal. If I see a dog doing any of these things, I don't wait until it threatens me, I waste it! The life of a dog is no better than the life of any other animal -- not as good, in fact, because deer, etc. at least provide food. It's time people in this country stopped trying to elevate dogs to human status and started treating them like the varmints they are.

Leave a comment:

• backcast
    replied
    I think I'd have done the same thing if I was being charged by a pit bull(or any other large critter that was coming at me full throttle). What's the owner doing letting his dog have access to outdoors off a chain, leash, or outside a kennel? I can't stand people who can't take the time or responsibility to manage and care for their animals.

Leave a comment:

• mspl8sdcntryboy
    replied
    I have been in a similar position our neighbors pit-bull ( it was a rescue, it had been being trained as a fighter and it still had a lot of fight in it, and it already bit several people) it attacked a king Charles spaniel so I jumped the fence after the spaniel and the dog was still over there, all I had was a 2in. pocket knife but if that dog had come any-where near me he wasn't going to kill me without a struggle, thank God he stayed away because if he had attacked me I probably wouldn't be writing this. The dog was put down after he attacked a fire-fighter.

Leave a comment:

• bass bomber
    replied
    Micro said it perfectly. The breed is misunderstood, pits are wonderful dogs. Now killing it was the right thing to do cause even if its a chiuahua its still meaning to attack you.

Leave a comment:

• Ol Krusty
    replied
    People are going to give me crap for saying this but I congratulate you sir on ridding the world of one more of the most worthless animals on the planet. If I could, I would take them all out. I think that the owners of all animals have the obligation to take care of their damn pets, and the pit bull is not one to take lightly. It kills people every year but there are those out there that think they are so cuddly, cute and harmless. Ya so is a brown bear. Ditto on what Clay Cooper said about keeping it to yourself.

Leave a comment:

• whitetailfreek
    replied
    WAM, before you start calling people imbeciles you might want to check different state laws. Dogs that chase deer can be considered public nuisances, and be shot on site legally.

Just lettin you know.

Leave a comment:

• lovetohunt
    replied
    Oh and it looked a lot like it does when a deer jumps the string. If you ever have seen a deer dodge an arrow coming at them at 300fps, you know how amazing it is.

The dog however, wasnt so lucky as to dodge the arrow.

Leave a comment:

• lovetohunt
    replied
    RES and Ontario,

I was waiting fot someone to ask that very question, on how I hit that animal through the side as he is coming straight at me.

As a released that arrow, the dog herd the sound of the bow going off ((I had recently switched to a 375 "ish" grain arrow, any bow becomes louder when shooting an arrow that weighs sub 400 grains, I usually shoot 460 grain arrows))

As the dog herd the release it immidiately put on the breaks and spun all in one motion.

Which in turn made my arrow go through the dog's side rather then in his chest where my 20 yards pin was sitting on.

Now on making "such an incredible shot" as you put it...

I practice shooting my bow year round. I shoot thousands of arrows each month. Every chance I get I shoot my bow. I wore out several sets of strings this year already. Out to 50 yards I am a better shot with my bow then I am with my muzzle loader. I figure if I am going to be out hunting deer with a bow, I better make sure that arrow huts home EVERY time.

Leave a comment:

• Ontario Honker Hunter
    replied
    RES beat me to it! Shooting a charging animal through both sides is more than tricky. I won't call this a total BS story but I think there are parts that might fall into that category. On here I have always felt any post better be all or nothing ... all truth or worth nothing.

Shooting deer-chasing dogs was just about as normal as changing dirty diapers when I grew up. No one liked it but it had to be done. The law honored those who did their duty with those useless mutts. I don't want my dogs shot if they are bouncing curiously after a deer. But that's kinda hard for them to do when they are stuck in my living room or fenced back yard. They DO NOT chase deer when I am hunting birds. The first encounter or two they might have followed a flushed deer for a bit out of curiosity but they very quickly learned how irate that made me. End of that business! I only acquire dogs bred for obedience. Those who acquire dogs bred for attacking things are asking for trouble from the get go. I hold no sympathy for them if their dogs are on the loose. Generally, the courts don't have much sympathy for them either. I find it hard to believe that any judge would impose punishment on someone for getting rid of a dangerous neighborhood nuisance. Private property rights tend to go by the wayside when the property concerned is a killing machine running loose.

Leave a comment:

• RES1956
    replied
    Now, lovetohunt, your testimony was that the dog was in full attack mode, coming directly at you. You then proceeded to shoot the dog, with an arrow, at 16 yards on a dead run, bearing in mind that he was still in full attack mode, and after the shot he left the scene, bleeding from both sides.
    First, let me compliment you on making such an incredible shot on a running target, hitting him in the side while he was 'charging' you head on (a shot I have never personally perfected with a bow, just my driver and my long irons) but, since this is in fact impossible, as we all know, obviously the animal had backed down from the charge and changed directions.
    Next begs the question, since the animal was no longer coming at you, did you truly feel that there was a clear and present danger, or were your actions generated from the fact you know and despise this dog?
    Prepare yourself for cross examination and hope the prosecuter does not read you first answer, which is your account of the situation, and thank God you will not appear in my court, lest you would be doing the owners yard work for the next two years.
    The owner would have also been reprimanded, on separate charges had you not solved the problem, for not controlling this animal.
    Next time SSS (shoot,shovel,shut up).

Leave a comment:

• scratchgolf72
    replied
    pitbull coming full speed at me? im shooting, you did nothing wrong.

Leave a comment:

• lovetohunt
    replied
    Micro,

I decided to shoot at about 16 yards bacause he was closing the distance pretty quick.

I wish it happend during gun season, that way I could have just shot into the ground and he would have ran off.

But whats done is done now.

Leave a comment:

• Treestand
    replied
    If this did happen the way you say. you have the right to take action to stay safe. or climed back up your stand and let the dog pass or tree you(no dead dog) call your local LEO put it in his hands!

Leave a comment:

• Micropterus24
    replied
    I would agree that the blame falls on the owner's shoulders, its a shame because this breed has gotten such a bad reputation really because of irresponsible owners. I worked at an animal shelter for 2 years, and we had numerous aggressive dogs, and I know its pretty intimidating to be standing in front of a dog that may not have the best intentions, but I will say I've had a few get a lot closer than 16 yards, and I was able to ward them off without much trouble. Given my experience, I would have tried to handle it differently, but I do understand your situation, and if you feel you did the right thing, that's all that really matters. Bad situation all around, and its unfortunate you were stuck in the middle of it. It looks like this was bound to happen by the way the owner cared for his dog, it was their irresponsibility that sealed its fate.

Leave a comment:

• WA Mtnhunter
    replied
    LTH

I would have capped the mutt myself if I felt threatened by it. Just too many imbeciles on here talking about shooting dogs for running deer. Not their job to be game cops.

Leave a comment:

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to End of an era
    by Milldawg
    Dew man guy who owns the land a farm of his wants the spot so I’m out. All of this started since there is monster running around out there....
    Today, 11:10 PM
  • End of an era
    by Milldawg
    Well lost my hunting spot of 7 years last Saturday. So now I’m joining the lease crowd. Any advice this will be my first year leasing ground next year....
    Today, 03:35 PM
  • Reply to Season ends
    by WA Mtnhunter
    I’m 70, battling cancer, trying to stay in shape, and still working my dogs. Not going to quit until I can’t get on my feet. I’ve had a good run,...
    Today, 10:39 PM
  • Season ends
    by Ontario Honker Hunter
    On my way home ... finally. Headed to West Side (Montana) for Thanksgiving with my brothers but a very nasty blizzard delayed me till Saturday. After...
    Today, 12:41 AM
  • Reply to Virginia Gun Confiscation !
    by Sarge01
    If Virginia had followed through with their anti gun legislation you would have seen the start of the 2nd civil war in the US.
    Today, 10:26 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
Working...
X