Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I shot a pitbull yesterday morning with my bow. Story is the first answer. Make sure you read it before posting anything under

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I shot a pitbull yesterday morning with my bow. Story is the first answer. Make sure you read it before posting anything under

I shot a pitbull yesterday morning with my bow. Story is the first answer. Make sure you read it before posting anything under it.

First a little back round on the dog.

This dog lives two houses down from mine. He always runs deer everywhere (ive seen him several times doing this). This dog also always comes into my yard and chases horses around in the pasture, one time he chased a horse through the fence and we found her the next morning about a half mile from the house.

Now to the story.

I was hunting in the morning and had to come in sooner then I would like to go to class, but I figure even a little hunting is better then none.
    So I climb down and as soon as my feet hit the ground I here a lot of noise about 80 yards away. It is a doe running at me. I nock an arrow just incase maybe a buck is fallowing her. Instead of a buck I see this pitbull chasing this doe.

I yell at the dog when it is about 50 yards away and it turn and starts at me. I draw back my Z7 Xtreme and I am holding on him as he is coming towards me. He got to 16 yards and I let him have it. I was not going to wait to see what was going to happened when that growling/barking/snarling thing got to me.
    That dog ran off with blood pouring out both sides of him. Then I went in the house and got ready for class.

Now what I did may not have been the best thing to do, it kinda gives us hunters a bad name. But in a situation like that you have to defend yourself. I did just that. If you hesitate and think about it even for a second, bad things might happen.
    Take care you guys.

Comment

You did the right thing. I love just about any dog, but not when they are chasing deer. Infact, I believe its legal to kill a dog chasing deer without worry of any legal attack from the owner.

Comment

it irks me that you may get in trouble for this but i think you did the right thing, dogs on the loose are invasive predators and pitbulls especially those at large are dangerous. people should take this into account when they buy there dog.

Comment

I dont care what kind of dog it was. Dogs are similar to humans in that you can't fully, 100% judge by breed (or race/religion/color). Regardless, you did nothing wrong, protect yourself at all costs. However you should make contact with the owner.

Comment

Is it really fair to kill a dog if its chasing deer? Now if it attacks you or your dog go ahead.

Comment

I would of kept this story to myself.

Food for thought

Comment

scrawford, the owner has been contatced.

And Clay,

I thought about keeping this to myself. But I figure if this helps even one person who is in a remotely similar situation down the road (whether they be hunting like I was or just say going for a walk through the woods), it was worth the post.

Comment

Better keep this to yourself, I learned from experience. Where do you think pbshooter came from?

If there's isn't a leash law or something like that you can still get in trouble for doing the right thing.

Comment

Coop is correct. But you need to, or should have reported the neighbors and their dog to your county agent. What will happen if the dog survives and goes home? You'll look bad, or criminal, and liable. Contact Cons. Dept. next time. You really have no right to take the law into your hands as bass bomber insinuated.
                    I do understand your feelings however.

Comment

Clarification:

I did NOT shoot the dog because it was running deer. Thats what some dogs like to dog, they can't help it. That is no reason to shoot a dog.

I shot that dog because I felt threatend, and I was pretty positive the dog was about to attack me real good because the deer it was chasing went the opposite way of me.

Comment

My opinion is that you absolutely did the right thing.

Comment

Well done! I would like to shake your hand.

Comment

Absolutely right. Any dog that chases my horses will get shot if I can hit them. Any dog that chases deer will either be killed by a responsible citizen or most certainly by a Wyoming Game Warden. Some things cannot be tolerated even in today's liberal America. In my dad's youth no one would have even given this a second thought. The fact is the irresponsible owner is the problem rather than the dog but he will most likely suffer very little.

Comment

Not a good situation at all. I don't envy your position, but from what you've said I think you did the right thing, especially by not shooting until you felt threatened. The fact that it was running deer helps establish a pattern of behavior and paints a picture of a dog obviously not making the woods a safer place.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad