Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you prefer a scope or open sights?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you prefer a scope or open sights?

What do you prefer a scope or open sights?

That would depend on the area I'm hunting in. Really thick cover, real short shots, I like using my ol' .30-30. More open stuff, longer ranges, out west I like using scopes, cause my eyesights not what it used to be and the scope helps me be more confident in exact shot placement. Hope this helps.
    Good luck and Good hunting this season !

Comment

I just took the scopes off of all my guns that have iron sights. Scopes are boring me lately, and I've gone soft. I need to brush up on my iron shooting and get back to where I used to be.

Comment

I vastly prefer scopes in open terain and most hunting conditions as they assist me immensely in accuaracy for longer range shots. However, like Big O, if I am in brush or hunting dangerous game, it is iron sights all the way. The scope poses risky limitations on fast target aquisition in those cases. Also the range is closer and you don't get any boost with a scope.

Comment

in my opinion, people go through phases. it's kind of a cycle. some people at one point in time will absolutely love their scope, and try to be pin-point accurate at everything they shoot. other times, they will shoot a larger rifle with iron sights and see how good of a shot they are. i think it's best to be good at both ways. you never know when you're going to have to take a shot without a scope. you best be good at both. i prefer a scope.

Comment

depends on what and where I am hunting. Squirrels I always use iron sights. Deer hunting just depends on the terrain of the land.

Comment

it is a toss up because open sights for close and scope for long and depends where and what i am hunting.

Comment

I like a scope for my hunting rifle and open sights on my shotgun.

Comment

Scope

Comment

I prefer Scope!!!

Comment

I prefer Scope!!!

Comment

I prefer Scope!!!

Comment

I prefer Scope!!!

Comment

I prefer Scope!!!

Comment

I prefer Scope!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad