Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

rezavoirdog please go back to the "superstitions" question and see if you can make anything of the last post I left there. I am

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rezavoirdog please go back to the "superstitions" question and see if you can make anything of the last post I left there. I am

rezavoirdog please go back to the "superstitions" question and see if you can make anything of the last post I left there. I am interested in your analysis since other hunters have told me they have experienced similiar feelings when encountering animals at certain places and times in the mountains and plains but no one knows what to make of it. Thanks.

I don't know how to explain it, but what you said is real. I've had that too. I feel like they can communicate in ways that we can't sense or comprehend, and those moments may be us coming as close as we can to making that connection.

I really pity the people that don't experience the things we do. I feel like my life would feel pretty empty and hollow without all of the cumulative experiences. You haven't lived until you've had one of those experiences.

Comment

AMEN BROTHER ishawooa!

Comment

Ishawooa, A neat question. I'll need to sneak a couple of glasses of cooking sherry before I dare recount some of my unexplainable moments in the wilderness.

Comment

I think I saw a Black Helicopter!

Comment

Both the Native Americans and the ancient Pagan religions of Europe regard all things in nature to be divine.

They would literally say that being one with nature IS being one with God. (they probably wouldn't use the word "God" but the concept is essentially the same)

Christianity isn't quite that specific on the connection between God and nature. Though, It is certainly my thinking that this notion is consistent with Christianity.

If nature is God's creation then truly understanding nature would certainly lead to a greater understanding of God.

Comment

Maybe its nothing more than an adrenaline rush but I don't feel the same way dirt biking, snow skiing, after shooting a bull at 250 yards or something similiar. Its difficult to explain unless you have experienced it. Some people just laugh when I mention the sensation so I don't often bring it up. I have seen hundreds of bears in the mountains but this last one just stood in front of us about 15 yards or so away. He rotated his head without ever taking his eyes off us and I tried not to make eye contact but know I never stopped looking at it. The whole time I felt like I was in a tranquil almost hypnotized state and doubt I would have drawn a .44 if he had charged. In fact two friends of mine had this happen as they quartered an elk. The bear walked right up to them without them being aware. Their horses just watched and never made a sound or attempted to run off. Both guys said they just stood still watching the grizzly as it popped its teeth and paced back and forth until it decided to leave. At that point they remembered they had .454 Casulls and bear sprayers. I know this sounds strange and I am the kind of guy that don't even believe in ghosts.

Comment

Ken as usual you provided interesting thought provoking comments. I read your post a couple times to reaffirm that I understand it. I wonder if you are not getting very close to the truth. Perhaps the answer is spiritual, maybe physiological, psycholigical, or a combination, I am uncertain.

Comment

ishawooa you are experiencing connections to some of the forces that exist in this world that defy explanation by modern rational thought. Many religions around the world and several martial arts along with the practice of yoga are dedicated to developing the ability to perceive and sometimes utilize these energies. Some humans are able to do it without training at various levels.
                  When it happens it can be terrifying, mysterious or delightful depending on the forces involved and your own personal outlook. You are a lucky man and I hope you continue to enjoy experiences like the one you describe. Life can be very empty without the ability to connect to the mystery and wonder that exists in our world.
                  I would like to share a quote from one of my favorite authors who writes on this subject.
                  "For me the world is weird because it is stupendous, awesome, mysterious, unfathomable; my interest has been to convince you that you must assume responsibility for being here, in this marvelous world, in this marvelous desert, in this marvelous time. I wanted to convince you that you must learn to make every act count, since you are going to be here for only a short while; in fact too short for witnessing all the marvels of it."
                  - Juan Matus

Comment

Ishawooa: From what you have told me, I can say that you truly are favored by some of the spirits where you have visited. Here, on the rez, my friends and I joke about guys we know having "medicine". That being, they're the luckiest guys we know, usually about 1 or 2 people I know. One of the guy's father is Medicine Man, and is well respected. I feel that he is lucky and is blessed and the animal spirits favor him, that is why he is such a great hunter. I honestly believe that there are spirits all around us. Those that go outdoors and hunt and spend time in the wilderness probably know what I'm talking about. I've always felt something just watching me as I sit still in the timber. That's when I know to be careful about what my thoughts and actions are and remember that the animals and wilderness is sacred.
                    Bears, all bears are sacred to the Cheyenne People. You are supposed to ask permission from an elder or a Medicine Man to hunt them. I felt sad last Spring, when a couple of hunters shot a sow and 2 cubs and just drove around town showing them off, you see they don't know or don't care about our ways.
                    Badgers are another example of a sacred animal. Whenever you see one your supposed to remain still until it leaves you sight, or your supposed to leave it be and find somewhere else to hunt. It is an honor to be in the presence of one.
                    I know friends that won't shoot coyotes and others that won't shoot foxes, because it is there medicine. My father-in Law gives beaver castors to a medicine man, because it is his medicine. You see, there are the old ways that my tribe needs to teach our children. I guess you can say that simply respecting the earth and its animals has a bigger meaning in the bigger scheme of things. I hope the American Society doesn't lose that, not only Native Americans. I'm sure the settlers had their beliefs as well. Sometimes I feel sad when I think about how my ancestors used to live and wanted be with them back then. I guess I feel more in-touch with my ancestors by being outdoors and seeing the animals versus reading about them or hearing about them. Thank you for your question Ishawooa!

Comment

rezavoirdog-

Your people's spiritual beliefs are fascinating! Do you know of any good books or other references where I can learn more?

I have felt the same connection to my ancestors that you are talking about when hunting. When I think about it, Hunting is the one thing that I can be sure my father taught me and his father taught him and so on and so on back through the ages. It is the only part of my modern life where I can literally be connected to my ancestors.

Comment

Also,

I would love to hear your take on some of the more contemporary issues we debate on the forums.

for instance->

-Reintroducing wolves in places where they have been exterminated?

-The ethics of baiting deer? food plots?

-What about "varmint" hunting? specifically the kind like prairie dog shoots or helicopter-based culling where the body isn't even recovered?

-What about environmental issues like open-pit coal mining and drilling in ANWR?

I think hearing a spiritual perspective on these often-debated issues would be fascinating!

You should really have your own blog!

Comment

ken.mcloud: I appreciate your comments.
                          Nah, but I don't want to get to political. Besides, I'm not the best or most knowledgeable person about my tribe's beliefs, customs, history or stances on modern issues. I just love sharing a little about what I know from a Native's perspective of the outdoors. But, yes I agree, it would be great to tackle some of those contemporary issues that we all face as a Nation. One common belief is that most if all Native Americans, and I'm sure most people as well, believe that things happen for a reason.

Comment

Rez: I don't wish be get political either but I do wish to offer a few comments. It is my opinion that the west was a much better place before the white man set foot in it. I know some of the earlier adventurers and trappers were welcomed by the native inhabitants but it goes without saying that later on less than acceptable situations developed as an attempt to surpress the lifestyle of the Native Americans. In my opinion all such matters were the result of poor decisions and broken agreements on the part of the white man. At one time this whole country was the land of your ancestors or those of other tribes as was all the land in the east. Unfortunately white invaders took it and forced "civilization". There are those of us now who regret this development, prefer the wilderness, and the ways of your people. This wilderness is what drew me to Wyoming, the magic places in the mountains found me, I did not locate them. I don't always understand but I know. May the spirits always bless you.
                            In my statement regarding "the hole" I spoke of the wind ending the visit. When it is time for us to leave the wind appears from the west signaling us to depart. At first I did not realize this so one day a friend and I huddled under a rock shelter to avoid the interuption of our session of studying the marks and signs on the rock walls. Suddenly the wind became so fierce that our tied horses started bucking so intensely that they broke their lead ropes and lost some of our gear that was tied to them. They ran out of the hole with us chasing them. As we exited the indentation in the hills the horses stopped running and bucking. They started grazing contently as we picked up our canteens, slickers, and such as the wind had stopped as quickly as it had began. These horses were born in Wyoming and live in strong wind often but had never reacted in this manner. From that visit forward when the west wind starts blowing we mount up and ride out as quickly as we can. I think I will go there tomorrow to see what is happening. Maybe the rabbits are talking.

Comment

ken.mcloud: Cheyenne Memories, The Fighting Cheyenne, The Cheyenne Indians, and Sweet Medicine are all good books to read about some our ways and customs.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Rest Easy
                                by FirstBubba
                                "... I took your advice and blocked the slimy nine and the red rodent, ..."

Welcome! It's pretty sad to rant and rave on a blog...
                                Today, 04:39 PM
                              • Rest Easy
                                by jhjimbo
                                Rest easy 2nd amendment, you are safe now - for the time being....
                                Yesterday, 08:55 PM
                              • Reply to Rest Easy
                                by 99explorer
                                Even if the Democrats take the White House and the Senate, it will still take 60 Senate votes to kill the filibuster, because of the filibuster!
                                Today, 03:02 PM
                              • Reply to Rest Easy
                                by jhjimbo
                                They know IF Trump wins and holds the Senate and picks up some down ticket it will mean the end of the Dem party for at least ten years if not more....
                                Today, 02:39 PM
                              • Reply to Rest Easy
                                by bowhunter75richard
                                I am most pleased with the Barrett confirmation, now we only need to see the fallout from the D’s. With the reelection of Trump, probably not too much...
                                Today, 01:18 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X