Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

does anyone here bowfish? i tried it once it was AWESOME! i think this year i'll get my bow setup for it, any recomandtions on b

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• does anyone here bowfish? i tried it once it was AWESOME! i think this year i'll get my bow setup for it, any recomandtions on b

does anyone here bowfish? i tried it once it was AWESOME! i think this year i'll get my bow setup for it, any recomandtions on brands of gear? arrows, reels e.t.c

I've always wanted to try it. But don't have enough money to buy any of the equipment right now for my bow.

Comment

For a good set-up, Browning's Barracuda Bowfishing Combo, about $300.00. I don't have money to throw around either, so I would just buy a bowfishing reel and arrow and use whatever bow you've got. Just make sure to turn the poundage down to the lowest weight it can go: 50#s (50-60# bows), or 60#s (60-70# bows).

Comment

when I was a kid in Montana, Id bowfish for carp all the time, those are some tough fish!
        I had an old ben pearson recurve with a tackle set-up, it worked great...that was really fun stuff...

Comment

There is a big floodplain that floods every year and makes great bowfishing fun, last year I got over 20 in a single day, I stalk them in 2-4 feet of water.

Comment

Yep. I have used wooden arrows that float (no string) when wading shallows for carp, gar, etc. because they give me longer more accurate shots. The arrows float if you miss and the fish are usually stunned if you hit them. Be sure to crank you bow weight down so you don't split arrows. If you want to shoot bigger fish or retrieve your fish, use a fiberglass harpoon arrow with an AMS Bowfishing Retriever (eBay for about $80). This is absolutely the best rig I have ever used. The line comes out of the little jug perfectly every time and you can quickly reel it back into the jug. It has great range and just operates the best of any thing I have tried. I have tried fishing reels, the ring with string wraped on it, etc.. Nothing works as well as this AMS little jug. You might find them used for less on ebay. Good luck.

Comment

Agreed with rezavoirdog answer above and A + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad