Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I am pretty sure that I heard President Obama mention "common sense gun legislation" in his inaugural address. What is your opin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am pretty sure that I heard President Obama mention "common sense gun legislation" in his inaugural address. What is your opin

I am pretty sure that I heard President Obama mention "common sense gun legislation" in his inaugural address. What is your opinion? Is there such a thing?

"Common sense gun legislation" means fewer gun laws in my opinion.

Comment

Yes, That would be what common sense means to me but I don't think the man has common sense. I know he doesn't if he wants to raise taxes, cut spending on the military, ( hello, cut spending on the military) That is a HUGE red flag right there. To me common sense gun legislation would be allowing all the states to have unrestricted gun carry laws, for law abiding citizens of course! I believe Arizona has open gun carry laws and if I'm not mistaken they have some of the lowest crime in the nation.

Comment

Common sense and the politicians of the Democratic party havnt ever really went hand in hand. I agree with the posts above....

Comment

There is no Common Sense when it comes to gun control. Common sense would be enforcing the laws we have vs comming up with new ones that they can't support. Common sense would make it EASIER for Joe Public to get guns and HARDER on Criminals for breaking our laws, not the other way around!

Comment

Obama sucks, don't know how someone could of voted for him. The most left wing radical president we have ever had. Hopefully he doesn't do to much damage.

Comment

I read the "Audacity of Hope" just to see what his view of gun control is.

Obama knows there is a difference between the person with a shotgun in the gun cabinet for rabbit hunting and the bum who carries a gun to protect his drugs and money.

Obama's view is that the innocent gun owning American would and should sacrifice their freedoms for the protection of others. In other words I feel Obama will continue to pass gun controls measure in an attempt to get guns out of criminal hands at the expense of our freedom.

I do not think there is any question that our rights are in danger the only question left unanswered is how far will Obama go.

Comment

Obama has already gone back on a number of his campaign promises, the most apparent being the immediate withdrawal of troops from Iraq (he may be bringing some home, but he is still sending out 20,000+ to Afghanistan) and the tax break he promised to middle class families (which has disappeared in the middle of the night, much like Slick Willy managed to do).

As for gun control, I believe it is merely a matter of time before he begins down this path. We can only hope that he does not attack this matter before mid-term elections next year. If we can make it that far, there is at least a glimmer of hope that the bodies of Congress will become more evenly balanced party-wise. If he were to attempt to pass something now, it would just be waved right on through by the democrats. As with most politicians, if their mouths are moving, beware!

Comment

That is liberal democrat for "eventually disarmament of honest folks by attrition".

Comment

Common sense is not so common. If people had looked at his record rather than believing what he said they wouldn't be surprised. Obama really holds the pen - to either sign or veto legislation. He can encourage it, though. The legislation will come from Congress. They are just waiting for the right time. That might not occur until after they get a couple new Supreme Court Justices appointed.

We'll see if common sense prevails in the next round of Congressional elections. At least it appears that the rose colored glasses are changing shades and fogging up, so maybe people will finally take them off.

Comment

Common sense tells us that if a large number of law abiding citizens are armed, crime will be lower. In Vermont, there are no carry laws, as in you can walk around town with a gun, no questions asked. And they do. A lot of the bars have a weapons check closet. I have yet to hear of a shooting there. The evidence is so obvious, yet some people want stricter gun laws. Insane.

Comment

You really want to believe what he says!

“Education is a weapon, whose effect depends on who holds it in his hands and at whom it is aimed.”
                        -Josef Stalin, in a 1934-Jul-23 interview

And since El’Presidente Barack Husain O’bomination truly believes he is the reincarnation of President Abraham Lincoln

“We the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”
                        -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

there should be no common sense gub lesistracion because its unconstiunional

Comment

The 2nd Amendment is to protect US from the government, that was it's purpose all along. It's not for "sportsmen", it's not for "hunting" purposes, it's to defend ourselves, and overthrow those in power if need be. Any "controlling" of guns is therefore, against the 2nd Amendment. Now, do you or I want convicted felons to be able to purchase guns, No, but that's "gun control". Is a background check a horrible idea? No, but that's gun control. Should a 12 year old be able to buy an assault rifle? No, but that's "common sense" gun control. Kind of a catch 22 ain't it.

Comment

Common sense is restricting the access to firearms by crazies and violent bas-ards. Unfortunately the stigma associated with psychiatry coupled with the fact that even the crazies insist they are sane means that any viable system of psychological assessment for filtering out potential psychotic killers is going to be resisted by individuals who secretly question their own sanity yet who keep firearms mostly as symbols of empowerment and props to weak egos.(I don't need to go into the individuals who seek to aquire firearms in order to create future mayhem, there are liars in any system).
                              Psychiatry hasn't helped, with it's present role as a shill for the psychopharmacutical industry. Secure facilities for treatment of persons with violent or malevolent psychosis are rare, overcrowded and underfunded. The jails are full of crazies incarcerated because the hospitals that used to care for them are turned to condos, jails or empty buildings.
                              It is crazy malevolent guys with fast firing guns and lots of ammo the public fears. Isolated pissed off marginalized guys who feel cheated of things they felt entitled to thinking of going out in a blaze of "Suicide by cop". Need an enemy to focus your rage? Make scene! The Blue People will come and fill your need to make it into the headlines and finally get the attention you delude yourself into needing.
                              But, the only way people are screened for psychopathology is by being caught doing something psychopathic, which is often much too late and innocent people suffer and die. Who is going to be willing to undergo a psychological assessment in order to be allowed to own a gun? I suspect even I might not pass such an evaluation, even though I passed a CORI check just to get my job. As long as crazy violent people are able to get fast firing guns with big magazine capacities and engage in mass killings in shopping malls, commuter trains, educational institutions and the like our right to keep and bear is going to be contested by the fearful and those who have already been prohibited from firearms.
                              We know we are not the problem. We are responsible, safety conscious, ethical sportsfolk. Our arms are part of familial traditions, and represent more than mere weapons to us, often even heirlooms in themselves. Then there is the urban/rural thing (with all the confusions of suburbia between). In rural areas guns=good. Wildlife exists for hunting, some of which might hunt you! People live farther apart and are more isolated, guns are traditional and neccesary.
                              But most of the people live presently in urban (or suburban) environments where either there is no game to hunt or it is too built up for safe use of firearms. In urban areas many persons come from ethnic roots that may not share Americas firearms traditions or seek to use firearms to engage in crime.
                              Some balance needs to be found...
                              I think the key is in the second amendment, Ie. the Militia. A gun club (I don't mean the NRA) can be a "militia". The most important factor in firearms is Discipline. Discipline where you point it, discipline in how you clean and store it, discipline in how you use it. Belonging to a "militia" gives context for "training" and training assumes discipline.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad