Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Click my name and check out the results of this morning's Turkey hunt. How do you find Morels? I only find a few now and then.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Click my name and check out the results of this morning's Turkey hunt. How do you find Morels? I only find a few now and then.

Click my name and check out the results of this morning's Turkey hunt. How do you find Morels? I only find a few now and then.

Learn to spot Elm trees, they're found around them alot, Cedars too. Take an old-timer w/you, I did this last spring and found a BUNCH. I'm a bit of a novice myself, and that "experienced" mushroomer taught me alot about where to look, and where not to waste your time. Congrats on the turkey.

Comment

NICE BIRD!! Congratulations Del!

Comment

I could go on all day about how to find morels, It’s become quite a passion of mine. The truth is Morels never fail to surprise me and show up in the most unexpected places. I would say however that gradual hillsides adjacent to creeks or streams typically yield good numbers. It is always a good idea to look on both sides of a rotting log, no matter what the species. If your having trouble slow your approach, and crouch low to the ground and scan an area of about 15 to 20 feet. This puts you at eye level with the mushrooms and you would be surprised at how many will pop out at you. Also don’t forget to look in the area within the 15 to 20 feet as you can easy look right past closer mushrooms. It’s not uncommon for me to stay crouched for up to 5 minutes before spotting mushrooms. If you’re trying to cover large areas carry a walking stick and scan it over the ground like a metal detector, follow the tip with your eyes and you will be surprised at how many mushrooms you find this way. Always remember; if you find one there is usually a few nearby. Good luck and happy hunting.

Comment

Del, up here in Huskerland, its just a bit early for morels. the ground isn't warm enough yet, but in middle KS I suppose your soil is warm enough by now. They like to grow in soil that has rotting tree material in it. Most times they grow in groups and sometimes just singles. One of their favorite spots is in the middle of buck brush that grew around the fallen tree. When you collect them use an old mesh bag to carry them. This way spores will fall off and next year you'll have more growing in the area. Good luck, they are one of the spring treats that's hard to beat.

Comment

Del, Great Turkey!! I went out last night looking for morels and didnt see a single one. I live here in NE KS. I think the soil is still a little too cool for them to start popping up. The largest bunch of morels I have ever seen was in a ladies yard I was doing some work for. She had no clue what they were and had been mowing over them! Good advice above though.

Comment

You can find them just about anywhere but I've found that dead elm trees can be fairly consistent year end and year out.

Comment

silsbyj, Our family farm is west of Atcheson near Effingham. Is that close to you?

Comment

how much did it way???!

Comment

and by the way... nice bird

Comment

If you click the pic the story and dimensions are there. 21 lb, 7/8 " spurs and TWO beards 8 and 6 inches long. Thank you for your interest. I take more pride in the photos of live birds. That was harder than shooting a bird.

Comment

Around here I find a lot of Morels on the cut banks of Mountain roads. Also along the edge of grassy spots in timbered areas. Good Job on the Turkey, they gave me the slip yesterday.

Comment

Del, Im just north of Topeka so pretty close.

Comment

Congratulations Del!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad