Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could you please click on my profile and look at my picture titled "Baby Couger?" I think it might be a couger but I am not sure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rudyglove27
    replied
    It look like a large house cat to me!

Leave a comment:

• rudyglove27
    replied
    It look like a large house cat to me!

Leave a comment:

• MLH
    replied
    There have been plenty of cougar sightings in Michigan. DNR is hoping most are just pets that have been released. I think they would rather not see a population sustaining itself. Would mean money and manpower to manage them. Cubs obviously (duh!) means the adults are getting together.

Leave a comment:

• shane
    replied
    If you don't believe that they are coming back to Michigan, believe it. They're also showing up in northern Ohio. No joke. Back at Ashland U, one of my professors told a story about his friend that found a "cat" on the side of the road. He pulled over the truck, got out, and approached the "cat"....

He woke up 10 minutes later, laid out and hurting bad. The "cat" was gone.

Turns out, it was a Catamount Kitten and momma protected her kid by knocking this guy senseless.

This is one example of their attack method that I mentioned on the post about the cougar following the deer. They attack using a "deathpunch" that knocks their prey out or dead.

Leave a comment:

• Jim in Mo
    replied
    Del you are correct about not being a bobcat, I didn't see the tail at first. If it's a housecat that is some cat and I'm glad I don't feed it but, photos are deceiving.

Leave a comment:

• dalingo
    replied
    after seeing this picture I believe it is a small couger. I researched cougars in Michigan and Other websites. Michigan denies that there are cougars in Michigan but with frequent sitings around the state in both the Upper and Lower penisulas I feel strongly that this is a small cougar.

Leave a comment:

• shane
    replied
    This is still up in the air for me and most of us. At first I was convinced that it was a baby cougar, having seen them, then I wasn't so sure because of scale, and the fact that there are housecats with similar patterns to baby cougars. Then I changed my mind again.

Now I am thinking that it's probably a young cougar, but it still might be a house cat.

Any experts in the house? Any more decisive evidence?

Leave a comment:

• shane
    replied
    Young cougars don't have adult cougar colors. They have a brownish spotty pattern instead of solid tan.

Leave a comment:

• Del in KS
    replied
    Look closely at the shape of the head and the colors in the tail and body. Compare them to other pics of Cougars. Bobcat and Lynx have short tails. The tree is dvd size at the cat's level. That is definitely is a large housecat case closed.

Leave a comment:

• Jim in Mo
    replied
    It looks more to me like a bobcat, or in your case up north, maybe a lynx.

Leave a comment:

• wallofsam
    replied
    It's a baby cougar! Whether or not our DNR in MI wants to admit we have cougars or not, there is too many sightings and stories about these cats. The tail is too long to be a house cat. My parents live up around Fife Lake MI, and the neighbors horses got tore up from a cougars claws that jumped out of a tree onto their backs! Check out the website at www.michigancougar.com

Leave a comment:

• shane
    replied
    Considering that, it could still be a jumbo house cat.

Leave a comment:

• lovetohunt
    replied
    I just went out in the woods to look at the tree. The bottom is about paper plate size. But up where "the couger" is it is about the size of a dvd maybe inch or two bigger.

One more thing my brother seen a huge black cat like thing during bow season.

Leave a comment:

• idahooutdoors
    replied
    Looking at the patterns on it I would say a house cat.

Leave a comment:

• slothman
    replied
    Well if you lived alot farther south i would say it was a jaguaruni. Its very big but it just doesn't look like a cougar cub to me.

Leave a comment:

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Scopes
    by jhjimbo
    Truth be told there are probably only a hand full of scope manufacturers who then private label for others. Many do not even make all the parts for the...
    Today, 05:51 AM
  • Scopes
    by FirstBubba
    There was a time, a Weaver, Lyman, Redfield or Leopold scope was a goal every rifleman sought.
    Burris, Bushnell, Tasco and Nikon were considered...
    05-24-2022, 08:49 PM
  • Reply to Primaries in PA and GA
    by jhjimbo
    Who is She?...
    Yesterday, 10:34 PM
  • Primaries in PA and GA
    by rock rat
    They are soon, next week and the week after I'm thinking. The two Trump candidates aren't very Trumpy in my view. Dr Oz would be a better fit with the...
    05-12-2022, 08:08 AM
  • Reply to Scopes
    by Milldawg
    The new models and dozens of recticles are to dazzle dazzle new shooters not guys like us....
    Yesterday, 10:04 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
Working...
X