Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I just found some 16 gauge shells that the actual shell is some type of paper or cardboard material. Being only 35 yrs. old, I'v

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I just found some 16 gauge shells that the actual shell is some type of paper or cardboard material. Being only 35 yrs. old, I'v

I just found some 16 gauge shells that the actual shell is some type of paper or cardboard material. Being only 35 yrs. old, I've never seen these before. Can somebody give me some info on these. I have 2 Western Super X 1B shells, 2 Remington Express Kleanbore with 3-1 1/8 (5) wrote on the sticker on top of the shell, and 1 Remington Express Kleanbore Extra Long Range Slug. On the brass part of the slug, it has UMC Remington. What does the UMC stand for? Any help would be appreciated.... and no, I don't intend to shoot them.

Last thing first good I'm glad you're not shooting them!!! Not that they wouldn't go off, the probably would but then you wouldn't have anything but an empty hull to show people I don't know the years that the made paper, Beekeeper or Clay can square you away on that. Paper hulls and empty boxes used to sell on eBay for big money. I'd keep it and put in a shdow box or something to show off without getting the oily little finger prints on them. UMC stands for Union Metalic Cartrige or Company. They were POSSIBLY made here in Lone Oak Ar. I know we have a UMC factory there.

If you don't hang em on a wall or do anything with them I'll be glad to take them off your hands I'd say they were 70 or so years old just guessing.

Comment

Thanks CPT Brad... they are already on the shelf and am thinking about maybe putting them on display in a taxidermy mount in a glass display case.

Comment

I have a lot of paper hulled 16 gauge shells too. I'm pretty tempted to shoot them.

Comment

I reloaded paper shells with fiber wads in the early '70's. I still have some but all the print has long worn off. Super X and Express should be high brass. We would stop reloading them when they got pinholes or the paper at the upper edges got too soft or frayed. If they are in good shape with good print they are a desirable collectibles.

The label sounds like 3 drams and 1-1/8 ounce of 5 shot.

Comment

umc means Union metallic cartridge

Comment

Everybody's correct on their posts!
              When I was a kid I shot alot of paper hulls. Plastic was new but the shelves were still full of paper. I'll tell you one thing, there is no comparing the smell from a fire paper hull to the plastic. It was wonderful.
              I have one paper hull left as a souvenir, it is as printed and stamped a 10ga Western Super X 3 1/2" Magnum. On side of hull is printed 'use only in guns 10 1/2 pounds or more with modern steel barrels. On the top of the shell the cardboard cap has a large circle and 2c printed inside. Not sure what that means. The brass measures 1 1/4" tall. I estimate it to be at least 50 years old.

Comment

I have a whole bunch of those old rounds... Remington Mowhawk, Federal Duck and Pheasant, Winchester XX Magnums, Federal Hi-Powers, I got two winchester wooden crates full for free when a friend cleaned out his garage. Those vintage shells are pretty neat. The duck and pheasant loads are lead so they date back to the days when shooting waterfowl with lead was kosher. These names bringing back any memories to you old timers?

Comment

I'll tell you guys now, if you are fortunate enought to hold on of those in you're hands then you are looking at a piece of history! Much like a BP 45-70 or even rarer 45-110 (Quigley) Enjoy them, mount them, PLEASE DON'T LEAVE THEM IN THE BOX!!! I'll take whatever you have sitting around. I have a DU Print I'd like to put some shells with!

Thanks

CB

Comment

Forgot to mention - you can still buy paper hulls, so not all the ones you see are old.

Comment

MLH,
                      You are correct, I forgot, Federal does have a run going of paper hulls. But, for the common man, that's not me, too expensive

Comment

Agreed with MLH answer above and A + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

I have 8 7c's and 4 4's all 16 gauge I don't know what year they were made but I am definitely going to collect them (by the way i heard they made plastic shells because the paper was getting jammed in the guns)

Comment

I have some and I'm keeping them!

Comment

I have some and I'm keeping them!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad