Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anybody spent time hunting turkeys in the evening. Growing up my dad and I always hunted hard in the morning but never real

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anybody spent time hunting turkeys in the evening. Growing up my dad and I always hunted hard in the morning but never real

Has anybody spent time hunting turkeys in the evening. Growing up my dad and I always hunted hard in the morning but never really hunting the evening. Has anyone had succes hunting the evening, and are the techniques different?

where i hunt,...and a lot of places, turkey hunting is only open till noon. be sure to check you local regulations.

Comment

One of my favorite times to hunt. The woods are typically quiet as other hunters have gone home. The gobblers can also be quite responsive because they are usually alone.

I like to walk ridge lines and call softly at first then with a little more volume at each stop. I'll call every 100 yards or so. Be ready as PM gobblers can run in rather quickly. Before calling at each site I will either sit down and get ready or I'll have a tree picked out in case of a gobble. I've even had toms follow me and come in from behind.

Also great hunting around pastures and crop fields in the PM.

Comment

yes I have and I didn't have to much luck but I've heard that it can be the best time if you know how to hunt such as finding roosting spots and the flight path which takes a lot of scouting.

Comment

I have shot more birds in the afternoon/evening than in the morning. The best thing to do is get a bird to gobble. This can be tough but if he is willing to gobble that means he is probably workable because he doesn't want to spend the night alone. Don't push to hard and screw up your morning hunt, but dont be shy to be agressive if you get a bird to gobble cause he will probably come in.

Comment

No I have not but if I don't get one tomorrow morning then I will probably start!

Comment

If it's legal shooting hours you should be in the woods. Yes I have shot a good number of birds in the pm. Beekeeper said it well traveling and calling 'til you get an anser is a great way to do it. Also in KS where theres lots of fields I like to sneak up to the edge of a field and glass for birds. Find a strutter sneak close set up and call. Sometimes they come on the run.

Comment

does anyone know why hunting turkeys after noon in many places?

I get the feeling it is based on some sort of superstition or political agenda rather than a sound conservation policy.

But, I don't know that for sure.

Comment

Check your State Regulations!

Comment

Check your State Regulations!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad