Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What kind of 44. or 45. revolver do you guys recomend and what kind of prices do they run.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What kind of 44. or 45. revolver do you guys recomend and what kind of prices do they run.

What kind of 44. or 45. revolver do you guys recomend and what kind of prices do they run.

I am partial to the .44 Taurus Raging Bull, I have 2 of them in 8 3/8" stainless. I have had others like the S&W 629 Classic Hunter, S&W 29, Super Redhawk and Super Blackhawk. They all were nice handguns,but the Taurus has been the most accurate and had the least problems of any of them. S&W is around $900 or so, The Rugers are around $ 700 and the Taurus is around $700 as well. The S&W had timing problems and kept spitting back at me ,the Rugers were a handful of recoil. Other then that both were and are good guns.

Comment

If you want looks and style and don't mind spending the money, look into Smith & Wesson.
      If you don't mind single action and need a firearm that is a working tool and not a show piece, I'd look into a Ruger. Ruger builds the .44 Rem Mag in double or single action. I'm not sure, but I don't think Ruger builds the .45LC in double action.
      There are probably some other brands out there, but either the S&W or the Ruger, with reasonable care, will give you many years of reliable service.

Bubba

Comment

I have a Taurus Gaucho in .45 Long Colt with a 5 1/2-inch barrel. It has the highly polished stainless steel "Sundance" finish that looks like nickel. When you draw back the hammer, your hear the four clicks that spell "C-O-L-T." A great value for the money.

Comment

BTW, I bought my Gaucho four years ago on the strength of a highly favorable review by Massad Ayoob, who owns two of them. Mine cost about $500, tax included.

Comment

I have the S&W 629 and love it. Good nice looking, flawless performance, and it fits my hand much better than other models. My hands are a little on the small side and I found that the Rugers and Taurusi were not quite as comfortable.

Comment

For me the question begins and ends with a Ruger single action in either caliber.

Comment

Ruger or S&W 44 mag, Kimber or Colt 1911A1.

Comment

I just bought a S&W Performance Center 629. It is quite nice - you can find them in the low/mid $800's. I don't think the PC let bad ones out the door. When you get a bad gun, like the POS Taurus and Super Redhawk I had, it makes the extra price for a PC worth it. Sometimes you just get a bad one. I've had excellent Rugers - the SRH had to be a fluke. You can pick up a good used Blackhawk / Super Blackhawk for a decent price - $400 or so. I like the adjustable sights, which you don't get on the Vaquero. If you can swing $1,500 or so you can't go wrong with Freedom Arms - you'll never regret spending the cash.

Comment

The most accurate .44mag I have shot was a friend's Taurus. It shot and felt very good. I now own a Ruger Redhawk and have been very happy with that as well. I don't consider it to be quite as accurate but I can still hit a quarter sized target pretty consistently at 25 yards. It is heavy enough to absorb recoil and with Pachmyr grips is comfortable to shoot.

Comment

hell just go with the taurus judge shoot 410 and 45 long colt. shoot deer and ducks and the same gun haha

Comment

Sam, I've heard alot of bad things about the judge. One guy I know went and bought one as soon as it came out, because it sounds so awesome. He said it was the only revolver he had ever seen that jammed. Enough said, he no longer owned it when I met him.

Comment

I have a Ruger Redhawk with Hogue finger groove grips and it shoots pretty well. I've also shot a friend's competition S&W 629, and I liked it a lot. You can't go wrong with either.

Comment

I have a Smith&Wesson Model 24-3 with a 6-inch barrel chambered in .44 Special that is the most accurate centerfire revolver I have ever owned. Originating as a competition target pistol, it has been discontinued, but can be bought in used condition for less than $1,000.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad