Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many of you folks are seeing wild turkey poults? As dry as were are here in GA I'm seeing lots of poults. No doubt they have

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many of you folks are seeing wild turkey poults? As dry as were are here in GA I'm seeing lots of poults. No doubt they have

How many of you folks are seeing wild turkey poults? As dry as were are here in GA I'm seeing lots of poults. No doubt they have been bolstered nutritionally by our abundant Cicada emergence this spring. I'm glad to see what appears to be a strong hatch.

ive seen two sets.

Comment

We've had a ton of rain this spring and the editor of the local newspaper has posted a request in the area for any reports of Poults spotted. The turkey & grouse forcasts are based on an every 2 year count. Ohio Fish & Wildlife are asking all sportsman/woman for help with the count. As of yesterday the reports were really low. Something like 900 goblers, 1300 hens and 200 poults in my areas, not real great considering we have both a spring and fall season with a 2 bird limit in the spring and an either bird in the fall. They have rated or spring as a rat drowning spring. Farmers are just getting fields in. Good luck on everybody's hatches.

Comment

Beekeeper---I'm anxious about the hatch here. I haven't been at my hunting ground very much since hatching time, but the time I have spent there, I've seen no poults at all and have seen quite a few hens grouped together. I don't know just what this portends, because the mamas may be keeping their little ones down in the hollows where it's not quite as hot, and it has always been a little late in the year when I've seen poults. There's not a lot of open ground where I hunt, mostly timber, so there may be more than I think. Glad to hear your hatch has been good. The cicada hatch didn't reach this far south. I think our weather has been similar to yours.

Comment

I saw a ton of poults in Florida a few weeks ago. Have not seen any poults in Ohio yet but I have not been in the woods for awhile.

Comment

No doubt that the dry spring should have helped the hatch. Now, if we could just get rid of these danged old coyotes, coons, opposums, and skunks,,,

Comment

Saw some while scouting the local game lands here on Lake Norman just the other day.

Comment

try not to cut your grass because they use sit for cover

Comment

We've yet to see any in MN and we have been looking. Wet spring here but not crazy wet.

Comment

havent really been looking, but with all the rain here in southern MI i cant imagine its going to be good...i dont think one bad hatch will hurt to bad around here though because those things are like rats, there all over the place!! just not where i was hunting at this season lol

Comment

Just returned from picking up my new pup in southern North Dakota. Things don't look so good for the pheasants down there unless it stops raining now. Doesn't look like that is going to happen. Another terrible storm blew in as we were leaving to come home.

Comment

Bioguy,

I heard a Tom gobbling behind my house this morning (6-16) at dawn. We finally got a good rain last night and it was in the low 60 degree range this morning. I guess he felt as good about things as I did!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to TGIF; Off the Big Screen
                          by fitch270
                          This week was especially heavy on rock songs. I also got stuck in the 80’s. I realized soon into it that by far most of my movie watching was from that...
                          Yesterday, 11:48 PM
                        • TGIF; Off the Big Screen
                          by fitch270
                          So I mentioned this last week, we’ve posted a few songs off soundtracks before but I think there’s loads of material left to cover. Not only are there...
                          09-16-2021, 11:01 PM
                        • Reply to Bust gun buying trip
                          by fitch270
                          Actually the show itself wasn’t too bad, it was the 5 hour round trip eating up the beautiful day that hurt. I come home from most of them empty handed...
                          Yesterday, 11:41 PM
                        • Bust gun buying trip
                          by fitch270
                          Headed to Syracuse Sunday for the big fall gun show. Had a pocket full of cash and was looking to spend it. Wanted a stainless .270, a synthetic 12 gauge...
                          Yesterday, 09:41 PM
                        • Reply to Real Quiet
                          by Milldawg
                          As a business owner and an employee rising wages are good and bad. As a business owner I lose profit that I can spend on things that actually drive the...
                          Yesterday, 11:35 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X