Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anybody know if farm chickens will raise a turkey poults as their own is the poult is caught from the woods only days after

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anybody know if farm chickens will raise a turkey poults as their own is the poult is caught from the woods only days after

Does anybody know if farm chickens will raise a turkey poults as their own is the poult is caught from the woods only days after birth?

Yes and no.
    If you have a broody hen, you can put turkey eggs under her. When they hatch, she will raise them as her own.
    Turning a strange bird loose in a chicken pen, especially a poult, IS NOT a good idea!
    Try a waterer, 60 watt bulb and some scratch grains.
    DO NOT feed a turkey poult chick starter! It won't work.

Bubba

Comment

Better make sure its legal.

Comment

I am unaware of any state that allows the taking of turkey eggs or poults to raise. No doubt it has been done. There could be a hefty fine for doing such.

Comment

In WV it is illegal to remove wildlife or eggs from the wild. Could cost you lots of money if reported and those things are hard to keep quiet and unnoticed.

Comment

I used to sneak chicks out of my incubator under a hen with young ones.. I've done it with ducks also.. Like said above just make sure it's legal.. I completely understand if you stumbled on the lil critter and he was alone and you couldn't just leave it there.LOL! Good Luck!

Comment

Wheat combining and turkey nesting season coincide. One gent used to call me and ask if I wanted turkey eggs.
              Once the field is combined, the hen stands out like a sore thumb and she abandons the nest. It's so late in the nesting season, most won't/don't rebred and nest again.
              If I have a "broody" hen and the opportunity, you betcha I'll attempt to hatch the eggs. About half grown and poults can pretty well survive on their own.

Bubba

Comment

FirstBubba hit it on the nail head. I have had a farmer bring me turkey eggs from his fields. I have hatched them under silkies. The silkies do not have to be already on eggs, you just put an egg down for them and they start to set. We have released seven turkeys back into the same area that their eggs came from and we know that predators got some of them because we saw signs of feathers. But we have had an increase of turkey sightings in the past five or six years. The farmer does not allow turkey hunting on his property, because he wants to build them back up. He tells me that when he was a child, they were plentifull on his family's land. They had been a big part of their food during the Hoover days. But by the seventies they had been all hunted out by man and predators. His hope is to have enough back on his property again for his grandchildren and great grandchildren to be able to hunt again like he did as a young man.

Comment

Saw 5 poults this morning around one of my bee yards just after dawn. They were not mcuh bigger than a park pigeon and were foraging around the hives for dead bees (protein). Old mother hen probably spooked out when I drove in. The young birds finally spooked and flew up into the pines around the bee yard. I left the area so as not to disturb them further.

My Grand Pa would set wild turkey eggs found during hay mowing under any type of yard chicken with good success. When mature the turkeys would come and go as they pleased around the farm.

As someone above said placing a poult into a chicken yard will result in a dead bird. Wild turkeys are highly succeptable to poultry diseases and even those hatched from eggs have trouble surviving at times. If they do survive and mix with wild turkeys in the area they can spread poultry diseases into the wild flock.

Both the law and common sense say don't do it!

Comment

Being as you stated Poult and not Egg, the answer would be NO. I've seen old roosters kill turkey poults that wondered into the yard alone. The disease issue is also another consideration for both wild and domestic bird health. Setting eggs is one thing, removing poults is another. Any molestation of a wild turkey in Ohio carries a $500 minimum first offense fine and 60 days in jail. Molestation meaning illegal removal,capture or harsment of the bird. I'd be taking that bird back where it was found or releasing it fast

Comment

A banty hen will raise a brood of mallards so I expect she might take on turkeys. Can't remember if she hatched the eggs but I kinda doubt it. Can't imagine her little butt was big enough to incubate all those eggs. Boy did she throw a fit when those little ducklings took to the water!

Comment

i think taking poults from the wild is illegal in most places.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad