Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A buddy and I are going turkey hunting this next week, We have two decoys, should we paint one of the turkeys heads red, and the

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A buddy and I are going turkey hunting this next week, We have two decoys, should we paint one of the turkeys heads red, and the

A buddy and I are going turkey hunting this next week, We have two decoys, should we paint one of the turkeys heads red, and the other a pale color to similate a tom and hen?

your decoys didn't come in a hen or jake?

Comment

Never seen "paint yourself" deeks, but personally, I'd go w/2 hens. Grey heads.

Comment

They are already painted, and I believe one is a hen and the other is a jake. I read the other day the painting a Jakes head red could draw a tom in.

Comment

jakes have red heads..but i guess if you really wanted to paint the head you could. i don't see why though

Comment

My dekes are hens and the paint on the heads are almost completely gone. Still brings them in. If you do paint the heads red let us know how it works. i'm curious.

Comment

Thanks for the help guys, Reid: In the article I was reading they said the red heads on a decoy simulated a dominent mating Tom. Your right that jakes have red heads, but they are nearly as red as a mature Tom. The theory is that a nearby Tom might see the red head and come in for a fight. Kinda like rattling in a deer. In the article they said they had used this method to bring in several mature toms.

Comment

We called in my son's Tom with using 3 hen decoy's

Comment

I paint the Head Red myself!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad