Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

theres a merky lake with pipes that drain into it and im wondering, ARE FISH FROM A DIRTY LAKE REALLY DIRTY AND CANT BE EATEN? i

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• theres a merky lake with pipes that drain into it and im wondering, ARE FISH FROM A DIRTY LAKE REALLY DIRTY AND CANT BE EATEN? i

theres a merky lake with pipes that drain into it and im wondering, ARE FISH FROM A DIRTY LAKE REALLY DIRTY AND CANT BE EATEN? is their meat bad or something?

Toxicity in fish is measured in parts per million (ppm) and fish absorb toxins through their gills and their food. So yes and no. They can be eaten, but why not get them from a clean lake. Imagine the pollution you could be consuming. Their meat isn't bad in the sense that it is spoiled, but it will have toxins in it if the water does and may make it taste funny. So for an example, if the fish you catch is breathing in radioactive water and eating radioactive waste, then you eat that fish, my sources say you are eating radioactive waste too.

Comment

Good info posted above,

It depends on what is coming out of those pipes, you could take a sample of the water and have it tested, In my local area they will do it at the local university, if you have a college nearby or another facility they may be able to do a quick water test for you.

If you are in doubt I would not consume any fish from water that may be polluted, it's not worth your health.

Hope this helps a bit.

Comment

I'd continue to fish it... but as a catch and release only. Do you know where the pipes come from? Are they from a field or factory. If the lake stays murky all the time, that would be a warning signal to me. You never know what people are dumping these days. If you see something nasty coming out of it, report it to the DNR and let them check into it. You could be doing the environment a great favor.

Comment

well the lake i go to the most, franis slocom lake, is really dirty and there is a sewage pumb right next to it and i stiill eat the fish

Comment

Just plain old dirt, probably not a problem, chemicals, bacteria, viruses, etc...probably a problem. Get ahold of your local fish and game and see what advice they have for you on that body of water, maybe see about getting the water and a fish tested by a lab in your area.

Comment

Its a phenomenon called bio accumulation. Small water invertebrates consume the pollutants, small fish eat say a thousand small invertebrates, so each small fish has 1000 parts of pollutant. Then a medium fish eats 1,000 small fish the medium fish now has 1,000x1,000 or 1,000,000 parts of pollutant, now if a large old fish eats 1,000 medium fish over its life time it has 1,000x1,000,000 or 1,000,000,000 parts of pollutant in it. That's why the most toxic fish to eat are the ones highest up in the food chain, the biggest and oldest.

Comment

Golfing Sportsman, it's called bio-magnification, and that is a very rare phenomenon. You're on the right track to how it happens. In lakes around here, and with the better regulations we now have, bio-magnification is probably not going to be seen. What will happen is bio-accumulation. That is the term for fish and other organisms accumulating pollutants in their bodies. As for answering the question, most state wildlife agencies will be able to help you with how much fish you can eat from your lake. You probably can eat it with no problem, just not every day.

Golfing Sportsman: Didn't mean to sound like a smart-butt or nothin. You're on the right track.

Comment

I am of the train of thought that you're going to die of something so why waste precious time worrying? Im not saying wallow in the local pool and drink the water, but why fret and worry about eating fish? Carry out your daily activities as you would and don't worry.

Comment

Agreed with HillbillyDeluxe answer above and A + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad