Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I was wondering were I could buy a nice, sturdy, well built long bow or just a regular compound bow either will work but I want

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I was wondering were I could buy a nice, sturdy, well built long bow or just a regular compound bow either will work but I want

I was wondering were I could buy a nice, sturdy, well built long bow or just a regular compound bow either will work but I want to start bow hunting. And if anybody knows what a good draw weight would be for me to start out with.

Do you have a Bass Pro or Cabela's store near you? Go to a shop and explain your situation.

Comment

You need to go to your local bow shop to be measured for draw length and weight. You should probably look into a BowTech or Diamond bow because they make great bows for reasonable prices. (I personally just got the Diamond The Rock.)

Comment

If you go to Mathewsinc.com at the top of the page is the "retailer locater" click that. Put in your zip code and it will show you the nearest pro shop to your home. Go there and get measured. In the long run a proshop will save you money. BTW I've been bowhunting since 1963 and have owned lots of bows. My alltime favorite is Mathews. At least check them out before u buy. There is a reason they are #1. I've taken 8 deer in the last 3 seasons with my Mathews Switchback XT.

Comment

Dels right, if I could afford a Mathews right now, I'd buy one in a heartbeat. But even if you can't, I'm sure a good bow shop will set you up based on your needs. If they don't seem too eager to help you move along to another shop. There is nothing better than a good bow technician. And by the way, there's nothing better than bow-hunting.

Comment

Potterman, are willing to open up some of that 550 acres during november, when i'll be in that area to bowhunt? If so i may have a bow for you.

Comment

I kept waiting for someone to answer. All the info given is because the question wasn't complete.

Like a rifle, you're only going to be able to hold a full draw for "X" amount of seconds before you get jittery. A lower draw weight will let you hold it longer, but lessen power and/or range. You'll just have to play with them.

So that depends on your body build. Chuck Norris could hold a 100 lb bow while sleeping, but I can't.

I've seen people who do the half-second draw-twang, but I can't do that either. I have to line up longer.

Which is probably why I am fair at using a bow, but I am really horrible at hunting with it. I am just going with the old bang-stick.

I can tell you the easy cheap way to make the Rambo exploding arrows with stuff any reloader has laying around, though.

Comment

It is your first bow. Going to the proshop is great advice. But buying some brand-new high-end bow is not necessary. Find something used and you'll save a ton of money, and still have a high-quality bow. Staff members at these places are extremely helpful to the beginner, so don't be intimidated because of your lack of knowledge. After you learn what features you like best, you can upgrade to a bow that suits your needs (not one with the best name on it).

Comment

BuckTheSystem, Thank you for the advice I think that that would be really good idea. I had never thought about getting a used one I am going to have to try that.

Comment

Most of the big stores,Cabelas, Sheels, Sportsman warehouse, usualy have tradins on hand. Check em out.

Comment

Draw weight 45# and up

Comment

Agreed with Ed J answer above and A + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad