Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I live in the south and my job is haying. When I walk through the tall grass you can bet I get chiggers in places I didn't even

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chiggers are one of the things that I remember well from living in Kansas - along with sticker grass. I empathize. Luckily we don't have them in Michigan. But we do have huge tiger stripped mosquitoes and black flies that draw blood and drive you mad. People in west Texas complain about fleas. Then there's love bugs in Florida. Guess everyplace has its bugs.

Comment

Rabbit,

I would recommend using permanone or duranone. As Del said spray it on your clothes and boots and let dry. It is a pyrethroid insecticide (the sythetic form of natural pryethrins found in Chrysanthemums). Just like Chrysanthemum pyrethrins, it can cause skin sensitization (rash) in certain people. This is the reason they do not remommend spraying your skin. I have seen studies showing it far less toxic than DEET based bug dopes.

Comment

i have never even heard of those things so i guess we dont have them here in minnesota

Comment

There is not a cure for chiggers. there is a whole lot of myth out there. The chiggers have already left your body by the time you start to itch. The only thing you can do is to treat the symptoms -- itch. You can apply anti itch medication and take an antihistamine.

The only thing that cures chiggers is time.

Comment

well when i went through basic training in the spring/summer of 07 we used dryer sheets in our pockets one in the pants pocket one in the jacket pocket and one in the hat and never got bit by mosquitos or chiggars........poison ivy on the other hand well that was a differant story altogether

Comment

Agreed with Del in KS answer above and A + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad