Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I live in the south and my job is haying. When I walk through the tall grass you can bet I get chiggers in places I didn't even

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I live in the south and my job is haying. When I walk through the tall grass you can bet I get chiggers in places I didn't even

I live in the south and my job is haying. When I walk through the tall grass you can bet I get chiggers in places I didn't even know I had. My question is, does anybody have a remedy for chiggers other than finger nail polish or swimming in a high chlorine concentrate pool for an hour?

Dip a Q-tip in bleach and dab a tiny bit on each bite. Works for Mosquito bites and wasp stings too.

Comment

Take a bath with a capfull of your wife's Avon Skin so Soft in the water and nothing will bite you for a couple days. I use it to keep ticks off during Turkey season and it works as long as you cover your whole body.

Comment

Great, thanks very much Del in KS, I am going to try the q-tip and bleach thing and see how it goes.

Comment

No I don't, and I'd give a million dollars to somebody to tell me how to keep them things off me. I think I hate them more than ticks.

Comment

As soon as you get home, take a good shower and scrub really good. Remember, the longer you wait the more they dig in.

By the way, chiggers don’t feed on blood, instead they inject the tissue with saliva and as it solidifies the skin then they suck it!

If all else fails, dog fela and tick shampoo!

Comment

There is a Spray, cant recall the name, It works. Most sporting goods shops carry it in places where they're prevalent.

Comment

That spray is probably Permanone. Spray your clothes and let them dry. DO NOT spray permanone on your body or clothes while wearing them. It works very well but I prefer not to use such strong stuff. The Avon stuff works and you will have soft skin too.
                Jim, Can I have that in 20's and 50's.
                Clorine bleach is powerful stuff too use just a little bit-it takes the hurt out of bee stings immediately. Got that tip from my wife' 95 yr old Grandmother.

Comment

put sulfar powder in your shoes, get it at any drug store off the shelf

Comment

My dad takes an eye dropper full of vitamin B-12 every day during the warmer months. He has had really good luck with not getting eaten alive by chiggers, and it keeps the mosquitos and ticks away too.

Comment

Man I'm glad we don't have them things up here.

Comment

Wallofsam,
                        You better get down on your knees and praise God you don't have chiggers! They are ten times worse than poison ivy. There is no way to describe having them all over your body. It is something you just have to experience. They will drive you out of your mind or close to it.

Comment

The spray is called Coulston's Duranon Tick Repellant. It says do not apply to the skin, BUT...I once got a prescription because i had chiggers so bad. The active ingredient, Permethrin (0.50%) and dose is exactly the same as in the spray. I believe it says "do not spray on the skin" so it can be sold over the counter as a preventive measure rather than a remedy. I don't use it on my skin often, but if i know i've gottem' I spray down liberally. Gotta be safer than my old remedy, Gasoline, which i do not recommend.

Comment

Also, you can try another one of my tricks, it's called mind control. Repeat after me..."These chiggers DO NOT itch, These chiggers DO NOT itch, These chiggers Do Not itch," and so on. Works when you're cold too, to some degree.

Comment

Those of you who smoke should Definetly Not use the Gasoline remedy.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Another New Upper
                                by DakotaMan
                                I haven't tried the 6.5 Grendel PH. It is a pretty powerful close range cartridge for its size but it isn't fast enough with those heavier bullets to...
                                Today, 02:20 PM
                              • Another New Upper
                                by DakotaMan
                                Milldawg inspired me so I finished my new 6mm AR upper as a Covid time killer project. I had made a 6mm Creedmoor with an 8 twist Bartlein barrel for...
                                Today, 12:54 PM
                                by DakotaMan
                                He used H4350 and the Berger 105g Hybrid. He cleaned it religiously but didn't know about carbon ring until I saw the barrel. Overbore cartridges cause...
                                Today, 02:11 PM
                                by PigHunter
                                That's a nice project! Have you tried the 6.5 Grendel and if so, what's your opinion of it?
                                Today, 02:05 PM
                              • Reply to 16 Years
                                by PigHunter
                                You're right, I'm an Agnostic. But, I've been a Christian, Sunday School teacher, and lay preacher. With an hour's prep I could probably deliver a decent...
                                Today, 02:00 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X