Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is your favorite gun and why?

What is your favorite gun and why?

For hunting? Mine is 30.06 which will bring down any large game animal in North America and will shoot flat with a 1" drop at 150 yrds and 3" at 200 yrds.

Some will say the 300 win mag, which is an awesome weapon and shoots much flatter then the 30.06. However, I feel its bit overkill for where I hunt in New England and the round can really damage the meat of the average sized deer here. If I were taking 300 yrd shots or more i.e. mid-west States and rocky mountain areas, 300 win mag would suit me better there.

F & S, posted an article I believe in the Dec issue where one of their writers brought his 30.06 to Africa and did very well there, harvesting rather large game.

It all depends on the ammo at that point, which with this caliber there are more available in many varieties and in more places.

I picked up Marlin's newer Model XL-7 (30.06) under $350 and was able to hit two button bucks at 120-130 yrds with ease. It's lightweight due to the synthetic stock which allows me to hold it true on long distant shots.

Comment

My favorite gun is Remington's 870 Express Magnum. My father got it for me for my 14th birthday, and 11 years later I have never had a problem with it. Not only is this gun an American icon, but the fact that it will consistently go BOOM for the rest of my life is an amazing thing. I have hunted everything from quail to goose, in all sorts of weather, and it has never failed. My uncle has one, my brother has one, and my dad uses the 870 Wingmaster. The 870 will always have a place in my families gun cabinet. I plan on getting one for my wife for her birthday, and plan on getting one for my son as soon as he is old enough.

Comment

My favorite gun has to be a mossberg 835 shotgun that I have. I can shoot 3 1/2 inch in it.

Comment

love the winchester 94 though don't own one

Comment

My Browning A-Bolt Gold Medallion in .22-250.

Comment

Although I have several guns, my favorite is my Remington 552 Speedmaster. Not only can I shoot .22 short, Long and LR, I can put hundreds of rounds a day through it at the range and it has never once been inaccurate. If I do what I'm supposed to, it will perform like a champ. And because I do like to shoot it a lot, it is much more economical than all of my centerfire rifles.

Comment

I like a good Winchester model 70 .270 or a Savage .243. They are both very good guns that can be used for smaller game (coyotes, bobcats, etc.) with lower grained bullets and bigger game with higher grained bullets.

Comment

Im going to say 17hmr. Its just so darn accurate that its fun to shoot. We set around deer camp this year just seeing who could do the next amazing shot with it.

Comment

Remington 870 Wingmaster, handed down to me from my grandfather to me via my father. It's been taken on many a trip, and I have personally hunted deer, turkey, dove, quail, duck, and hope to add pheasant to that list this year

Comment

An old Remington Mdl 11 semi-auto 12 guage. Bought with my own money when I was 14. It has accounted for many deer, ducks, pigs, geese, doves, quail, pheasant, rabbits and rattlesnakes. It is retired now.

Comment

An old well used Browning Sweet 16. It was my first "big" shotgun. With it I hunted everything that walked in my neck of the woods. It accounted for quail, dove, duck, rabbit, squirrel, crow, deer, wildhog and wild turkey. It was gift from my family and was well used when I received it. A Lee shotshell loader kept me in ammo pretty cheaply and led to my interest in reloading. I passed to gun onto another young hunter who could also enjoy its charm.

Comment

my grand fathers .410-.22 over under combination. name a animal or bird under 10 lbs. it can't take care of.

Comment

an AR-15 is the best all round gun for whatever.

Comment

My favorite gun is a 1898 Winchester .22 pump that was handed to me by my grandfather in 1985. It was my first firearm, and the first one I had ever shot.

My grandfather taught me about gun safety, ethical hunting, and how to enjoy firearms- especially legacy weapons.

This rifle is currently sitting in my safe. It was purchased in 1902, used, by my great-grandfather. It's been in my family since that time.

I wouldn't trade it for the world- it's being used to train my two kids as they enter the hunting fraternity. 5 generations using 1 rifle!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad