Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I notice alot of you folks on here talking about reloading your own shells/bullets. Is it legal, for a gun dealer/hunting store

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I notice alot of you folks on here talking about reloading your own shells/bullets. Is it legal, for a gun dealer/hunting store

I notice alot of you folks on here talking about reloading your own shells/bullets. Is it legal, for a gun dealer/hunting store owner, to reload ammo and sell it to consumers? And if they ever limit the sale of ammo, how are they ever going to prevent this?

I would doubt that it's leagl, there is too much liability involved there. If it is legal, I am sure that the insurance policy would be very expensive.

Comment

Yes it is legal. It could also make you liable if a hot round blew up someone's pistol.

The big legal thing is that you MUST clearly mark and state that it is a reload. People have been caught not doing that. I once opened a box at a show and saw 4 different brands of brass. That in itself made me suspicious.

At gun shows, there is often somebody there selling reloads. This is a bigger matter of trust than anything else. You would have to think; "Is this loaded to spec?".

I sold 1200 rounds of 9mm I've had, since I don't have a 9 any more. Each box was marked with the weight of the projectile and type, type and grains of powder, and the date I reloaded it. I sold it at a gun show to a dealer who knew me.

Now my old group of Georgia friends, here's what we did... generally we all reloaded different stuff and swapped around the group. We all knew each other, and trusted the work.

But everybody seems to want to get a lawyer and cash in on almost anything now, and if you're a store owner you would think about liability anyway. You would have to protect against someone saying; "I shot my cousin because of that ammo he sold me.".

Comment

May I add to Jeff4066

If a person’s gun blows up, who is going to know whether or not it was an overload, obstruction of the barrel or better yet, one of your loads to begin with!

Comment

Mr. Clay...

You are pretty correct about that, but I was trying to stay completely above board about it.

When a group you hang out with knows you reload multiple calibers, there's always someone who "needs a really hot round" for some reason. I steered clear of that.

And if you ever watched CSI, they could probably analyze the molecular bonds of the brass for weakened stress points due to hot reloading. (That sounded good, maybe I'll write a script).

Comment

Jeff hit it on the dot. You could do it but the liability is ridiculous,and knowing some people, could cost you and not even be worth it.

Comment

Jeff, your correct, the liability is a bitch. No gun stores around here sell reloaded ammo but the trap ranges used to. I haven't been to one of their ranges for a couple of years but I would bet for insurance reasons they have stopped that practise. The local private rifle range I used to go to cut their hours so much I hardly go there because if they kept their normal hours they couldn't afford a price increase above the $10,000 they were paying.

Comment

Hunting Shack are semi professional reloaders. They are nearly mainstream now but I remember they used to do custom orders.

Comment

As I understand it, if you produce ammunition for other than personal use and make a profit, you are required to have a license to manufacture ammunition. I believe the exception are the ranges that require that their (very conservatively loaded) ammunition be used on the premises. It may be worthwhile to check with BATFE on this.

Comment

Liability issues!

Comment

Liability issues!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad