Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

im 18, does anyone else think that its stupid that i have to wait to hunt with /buy a handgun until im 21, but you can carry a h

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• im 18, does anyone else think that its stupid that i have to wait to hunt with /buy a handgun until im 21, but you can carry a h

im 18, does anyone else think that its stupid that i have to wait to hunt with /buy a handgun until im 21, but you can carry a handgun with u when your 18 in the war and get your freakin head blown off.. and then i cant even have a nice refreshing cold beer when i return home? some laws dont make sense.... anyone agree?

As you progress in years you're going to learn that lots of laws don't make sense. I am not sure about this but I would think that if you enlist and do go to a warzone where you are risking "getting your freakin head blown off" the laws of that region would apply. So if I am right about that, you could have your refreshing cold beer before you head home. Next, for those who have lost loved ones or those of us who haven't, lets try calling it something like "sacrificing your life for your country" or even "killed in action" rather than "getting your freakin head blown off". Just a bit more respectful. Hang in there deadeye, just 3 more years and you can legally drink and buy handguns.

Comment

PS - About 2 clicks down from this question you say you just bought a Ruger Blackhawk 44 mag. So, I would say that 50% of your problem is cleared up. If you could just find a liquor store who is willing to sell under the table then all will be good. There ya go! Glad I could help!

Comment

I do agree with you. I feel that if you are old enough to vote, go to war, get married and have kids. Then yes you should be able to buy a hand gun or a beer if you want.

I'm probably going to get some flack about this but this is how I feel about it. I know that the reasoning for the laws are about maturity. However, if that person is mature enough for all the other things that they can do then they should be mature enough for the rest.

Comment

In Oregon it's not illegel to own one or posses (non-concealed) if you have parental permission, and beer is easy.

Comment

Careful what you wish for, I used to be gungho just like you but "good things come to those who wait". The older I got, the more I understood why we had these laws. You may be mature enough to drink and mature enough to own/shoot a handgun, but I would have to say a good 90% of the 18yr. olds out there aren't! Just bide your time and enjoy life. Besides, it seems like your doing a good job at getting around the laws anyway.

Comment

I agree with you. But some other people in the country have ruined it for others by drinking and driving under age and shooting their familys with a hand gun at 18 or younger.

Comment

When I was 18 here in Arkansas, I was always packing a Super Blackhawk® 44 Mag in a Western style holster. After getting gas I would walk in, get a 62oz Coke and pay for it all and never had any problem even with the Local and State Law Enforcement standing there. Last August I was in the same store in Ft Smith Arkansas just down the road a block from my Father’s house and the owner recognized me and said, I sure miss you coming in with that cannon on your hip. We have had a lot of problems since you moved. By the way she said in a low curious voice, what are you caring these days? I looked at her, smiled and discreetly showed her my Springfield XD45 ACP. She smiled and said, thanks for coming in and hope to see you more!

Times have changed, outsiders have moved into this State, bringing in there riffraff and pushed their agenda in. It’s getting worse, but not in my neighborhood and those I know!

“If you're a liberal, anything you say is protected. If you're a conservative, anything you say is hateful.”
                -Laura Schlessinger

“But I don't want to defend myself.”
                -reportedly uttered by a Brady Law supporter

Comment

It's not as bad as it seems. Having to wait until your 21 gives you something to look forward to. After I turned 21 the only age restriction left was for Social Security, however that won't be around when I qualify. Those laws are there to protect the young folk, the maurity level of someone who is 21 versus 18 is drastically different in most cases. You will understand once you hit that magical age.

Comment

Well, just looking at your post, and your attitude of your post, regardless of age, you're just the type I worry about.

You mistake age with maturity, and I'm not sure with that attitude, you should use "gun" and "beer" in the same sentence.

The reason that the drinking age has crept back up to 21 from 18 is the reckless abandonment many teenagers use. Drunk driver statistics were enough to convince even me. In the last ice age, most of us older guys have at least one story of a few beers and the drive home. Some days I'm amazed I'm still alive.

Also, don't mix up "old enough" and "qualified and trained for"...

I was stationed as an 18-year-old in California, which is a 21 state. However, flashing a green ID got me served anywhere. And, all service members can go to on-base clubs, generally within walking distance of their barracks. On a Army base once, They even had beer in vending machines in the rec room!

So you can chill out. And I apologize to the others for not mincing around this.

Comment

well i guess i should apologize for using that term. i hope i didnt offend anyone, i am sorry if i have. thanks for the answers, and keep on huntin'.

Comment

It is sad to say but those restrictions have come about from the "riff-raff" of people. I do believe that it is ridiculous that you can serve in the war at 18 but can not drink nor have/posess a handgun when you are 18. But that is how some things are in this country. You just got to live with the laws given, even if they do not make any sense.

Comment

Im with you some of the laws that are in effect are stupied but their there for some reason but it can be stupied like the little dirtbikes and how they cant sell them because they have led in the battery turmnal.

Comment

I know a lot of 21 year olds that can't handle either...

Comment

Yeh, most laws are stupid. And I know lots of older people that can't handle alcohole and sure as heck wouldn't trust them with a gun.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad