Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If you were hunting squirrel and only had a .22 and you had a bear at 15 yards (this is a true story) were would you shoot if it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think yer pretty much screwed. I don't imagine a big bear's skull would allow a .22LR to pass through. Maybe some parts are thin enough, but as Ish said, he'll be charging head down, so all you have is his dome - the thickest part.

So what's the answer?

Comment

Its fairly easy in my oppinion if you can kill deer or anything else with a 22 then you can kill a bear. Not to let you guys in on a secret but one of the few rounds that will penetrate "bullet proof glass" is a 22 LR or a 22 Mag.

Comment

i would shoot for the eye and at a upward angle if at all possable, it should make it to the brain.

Comment

Your buddy’s ankle and run like hell!!

Comment

Having examined a number of skulls I am confident a 22 long rifle bullet would penetrate to the brain on even a large Grizzly provided the shot is to the top of the head and straight into the brain. A big black bears brain is only about the size of a man's fist I might add. I have seen very large cattle brained with a 22 in a slaughterhouse. Brad is right about 22's penetrating well.

Comment

I'd hate to be hunting with you Coop! Ha Ha Ha. I'd shoot right between the eyes and run like a deer.

Comment

I was with my Dad and it scared me because when he swung his arms in the air it turned came back adn stared at us with an evil stare then he yelled and the bear took off I don't know why. Those answers are all really good. but he didn't actually charge me which was what I forgot to mention in the first actual question. Sorry!

Comment

People seriously underestimate the penetration of a .22. But, if you don't hit square ... all bets are off. .22s are very good at glancing off hard objects.

Comment

If you are charged by a bear and only have a single shot .22 you are better off using one of the many techniques available to stop bear aggression other than gunfire. Your best bet is pepper spray which you should carry if you spend a lot of time in bear country. The rest can be found by reading any of the numerous articles published on the subject. Try F&S archives.
                    If you are going to start shooting at bears with a single shot .22 then you should file the front sight off so it won't hurt so bad when the bear stuffs it up your -$$.

Comment

Jam the barrel in the bears mouth, then fire. At least if the bear is still alive it's mouth will be full and less likely to bite you.

Comment

i agree with shane, right dead in the nose

Comment

The only thing worse than angering a bear with a 22 is standing there and letting it knock the gun out of your hands with a bullet still in the chamber.

Comment

i would throw my squirrels towards it in an attempt to distract it and get away. but if it charged i would try to get it in the face.

Comment

I say the nose. Experience with large animals has taught me that no matter how big the animal, that nose is still sensitive, and just like people getting popped in the nose should make the bear's eyes water like crazy. If you miss and someone is with you, I'll take a page from the Clay Cooper playbook and say bust the stock over the other guy's kneecap and run. If you are alone crack the bear over the head with the stock and at least you will know you went down swinging.

Comment

Outdoor Life once published an article about a trapper who killed the 4th largest plains grizzly in the record book with a .22 pump, 7 shots though.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad