Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

In an 8-1 ruling, the U.S. Supreme Court today ruled that the First Amendment protects the rights of a fundamentalist Christian

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In an 8-1 ruling, the U.S. Supreme Court today ruled that the First Amendment protects the rights of a fundamentalist Christian

In an 8-1 ruling, the U.S. Supreme Court today ruled that the First Amendment protects the rights of a fundamentalist Christian church to use and display anti-military slurs near the funerals of fallen troops. The court's vote in favor of Westboro Baptist Church of Topeka, Kan., lets stand a lower court decision that tossed out a $5 million judgment against the church for picketing the service of a Maryland Marine. Justice Samuel Alito was the only one to rule in favor of the family of the late Lance Cpl. Matthew Snyder. "Our profound national commitment to free and open debate is not a license for the vicious verbal assault that occurred in this case," Alito wrote in his dissent.

This is very sad news.

Comment

I do not disagree, but on the other hand, freedom of speech is curtailed in France. Some famous fashion designer was just arrested for making an anti-semitic remark in Paris. He is facing up to six months in prison.

Comment

Free speech is one thing but desecrating a fallen soldier is another. Just because you are free to say something doesn't mean you should. This group has no thought for the family, just there agenda.

Comment

Go by there Church and give them there own medicine!

Comment

unfortunately i dont see how they could have ruled it any other way. however atleast there are some people that still stand up for values. there is a group of veterans that goes to these funerals to hold off the nut jobs at a respectable distance

Comment

unfortunately i dont see how they could have ruled it any other way. however atleast there are some people that still stand up for values. there is a group of veterans that goes to these funerals to hold off the nut jobs at a respectable distance

Comment

Yes it is.

Comment

Yes it is

Comment

sounds like some justices would be better off living in another country.

Comment

I support the court's ruling. Freedom of speech (just like freedom to bear arms, etc) must be protected above all.

That said, this so-called "church" is a total disgrace to the body of believers everywhere. I think it is up to citizens and true Christians to shut this crap down by peaceful means, NOT up to the government.

Comment

I think we can find many places in this country where the freedom of speech is tempered. Certain comments at the workplace, to a police officer or in a crowded movie theatre could land you in the unemployment line or jail.

Likewise the right to bear arms is tempered.

I believe there is a difference between using your freedom and abusing your freedom. Yes it is a fine line but ultimately the families of the fallen soldiers have the right to live in peace.

Comment

Freedom of speech is fundamental to this country. Unfortunatley, you can't legislate bad manners, loutish, crass behavior, or poor rearin'. The zealots always scream the loudest in their bid for attention. Best thing to do is ignore them.

Comment

But harassment is totally regulated. Certain comments made in a workplace can get you fired. Restraining orders can be issued to keep this group farther away than they have been.

Comment

This keeps going around and it's a bad call. To me, it's one of those 'not quite black or white' things.

One thing that does stick in my throat about this is;

I understand we have freedom of speech. But like the second amendment, we have to take into account what the Fathers meant there too, don't we?

Freedom of speech was supposed to protect people speaking either their opinions, and claimed as such, or to speak the truth. Remember the truth?

I do not remember these protesters (I hesitate to call them church-going folk) putting "In My Opinion" on their signs. So either God really does hate ####, or they are presenting an opinion as truth, which means God could sue for libel.

Where's a little Old Testament smiting when you need it?

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Cool gun
                                by Danbo
                                The gun Hickok has is not in pristine condition. In the video you can see the blueing is gone and he said there was a couple of pits in the barrel....
                                Today, 05:57 PM
                              • Cool gun
                                by Danbo
                                Cool gun Hickok 45 bought.

07-31-2021, 08:13 AM
                              • Reply to A hobby besides hunt, fish and shoot
                                by fitch270

Jim, I just checked that video out again and it reminded me of a plane I had when
                                I was a kid. Just found one like it online. Cox...
                                Today, 05:10 PM
                              • A hobby besides hunt, fish and shoot
                                by jhjimbo
                                Local paper wanted to do an article on our R/C Club and they put a Go-Pro on my plane. This was over 10 years ago. So far 7,300 views.
                                HD model...
                                Yesterday, 10:11 PM
                              • Reply to 15,500 members
                                by MattM37
                                True. "Vaccinate vs. don't vaccinate" doesn't stack up to Gary Devine vs. Dallas McWhorter. You could've sold tickets to some of those...
                                Today, 05:09 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X