Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I like and respect everything about the NRA & plan on joining, but do you think that the group can really be a factor in helpin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rudyglove27
    replied
    Agreed with Beekeeper answer above and A + 1 for you sir!!!

Leave a comment:

• steve182
    replied
    Well, right now the Supreme court supports gun ownership 5-4. That is the slimmest of margins possible. Join and $upport the NRA, it matters.

Leave a comment:

• buckhunter
    replied
    There is so much I want to say but I don't have a lot of time. You did good to join the NRA. Without a voice in Washington we would be at the mercy of the Hollywood types. I can't imagine anyone dumb enough to take my guns away but the NRA makes our life much easier to own them.

Leave a comment:

• haresear
    replied
    Congratulations on your new membership, you should feel proud of your decision to join an organization that works as hard as the NRA to protect your rights and freedoms. Try to remember that the fight continues every day of every year and always will. Membership alone is a good start but try to send them a little extra from time to time, I don’t see any of it going to waste. Years ago if you sent them $ 20.00 bucks they would send you 20 letters asking for more and using $ 15.00 of the $20.00 to do it. I used to really get corked getting all those requests knowing the money was getting spent in mail and paper. They seem have realized the waste in that. So now the letters come a lot less often and I find myself more eager to send them some more. Hopefully others (that can) will too.

Leave a comment:

• bonnier-admin_2
    replied

“the individual is handicapped by coming face to face with a conspiracy so monstrous he cannot believe it exists.”
    -J. Edgar Hoover, 1956, speaking of communism

“The evils of tyranny are rarely seen but by him who resists it.”
    -John Hay, 1872

“It is natural for man to indulge in the illusions of hope. We are apt to shut our eyes against a painful truth, and listen to the song of that siren till she transforms us into beasts ... For my part, whatever anguish of spirit it may cost, I am willing to know the whole truth, to know the worst, and to provide for it.”
    -Patrick Henry

“Experience teaches us to be most on our guard to protect liberty when the government's purposes are beneficent.”
    -Supreme Court Justice Louis D. Brandeis, in a 1928 decision

“If the personal freedoms guaranteed by the Constitution inhibit the government's ability to govern the people, we should look to limit those guarantees.”
    -President Bill Clinton, August 12, 1993

“the purpose of government is to reign in the rights of the people”
    -Bill Clinton during an interview on MTV in 1993

“The presidency - by which I mean the executive state - is the sum total of American tyranny. The other branches of government, including the presidentially appointed Supreme Court, are mere adjuncts. The presidency insists on complete devotion and humble submission to its dictates, even while its steals the products of our labor and drives us into economic ruin. It centralizes all power unto itself, and crowds out all competing centers of power in society, including the church, the family, the business, the charity, and the community.”
    -Lew Rockwell, president of the Ludwig Von Mises Institute

“When a well-packaged web of lies has been sold gradually to the masses over generations, the truth will seem utterly preposterous and its speaker a raving lunatic.”
    -Dresden James

“We have now sunk to a depth at which restatement of the obvious is the first duty of intelligent men.”
    -George Orwell

“In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
    -George Orwell

“Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it's from Neptune.”
    -Noam Chomsky, MIT Institute Professor (linguistics), and neo-Nazi of a sort

If this alone doesn't make you join the NRA etc, what will?

Leave a comment:

• wallofsam
    replied
    Jeff4066, it was a group discussion question not a rant. I don't doubt what they can do... just for how long. Being new to the NRA, I didn't know how much clout they have, and thank you for serving in our military!

Leave a comment:

• Beekeeper
    replied
    Yes, the NRA is a powerful lobbying organization made even more powerful by additional membership.

Leave a comment:

• Jeff Bowers
    replied
    I'm not sure if this is a question or a rant. You really can't compare the NRA to the UAW. Let's compare...

The NRA is an organization to promote awareness as much as anything else. Being a member of the NRA doesn't bring you Audi-sized gobs of cash. A few men do get some political clout, but nothing like the teamsters. Things the NRA does is intended not just for members, but all law-abiding citizens.

The current auto/union/economy thing was predicted by my grandfather (a 40-year GM employee) many years ago...

That issue is an old fight to see who could be more greedy and stupid at the same time, and both sides won, and we all lost.

The union selectively used blackmail to exact benefits by threats of strike during the good times. At the same time, sales and profits were good enough that the companys caved in to keep that money pouring in. Everybody had the "give us our cash now, and worry about anything tomorrow" attitude. The last wave of that was the '90s, and the SUV craze that made obscene wads of cash. But nobody put aside anything of those billions for potential lean times.

You talk of erosion of benefits... The union loves to throw around the "signed contracts" made during these times. But how do you (or anyone) feel about a promise forced from you at gunpoint? Do you feel it's morally right to pay for it forever? The unions asked for more and more and more, and offered nothing in return (except to show up). Auto companys blindly only looked at sales figures and their own bonuses.

Now the lost pensions due to bad investments, that is bad. Nobody seems to just put some money in a plain CD-type, lower-return investment. But around here, the same people who lost their butt with their portfolio are the same ones who, 5 years ago, were screaming for a more aggressive, higher return investment strategy. Banks screwed up, big time, but there was a line of people eager to buy, because they could get 15% instead of 6% return.

But we all have our storys...

I didn't turn a wrench. I got shot at for my money. After the Gulf war, I went to the reserves with the drawdown. When I retired from that in '99, several things were made painfully clear...

I don't see a dime of retirement until I'm 60. That's the year 2016. I have zero medical, or insurance, and if I die one day before then, my wife will never see a penny. The "job bank"? To sit around "just in case", at 95% salary? How stupid can the unions get to think that the gravy train could last forever?

Their great power, the power to strike, means nothing if plants are shutting down anyway. Some constructive behavior over the decades would have helped.

I know a UAW "pensioner" making $53,000 a year. My heart bleeds.

Leave a comment:

• BuckTheSystem
    replied
    They absolutely can help. But also take a look at organizations like CCRKBA (Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms), and Safari Club. Both organizations are dedicated to pursuing the good fight for all of us.

Leave a comment:

• wallofsam
    replied
    By the way, I just joined!

Leave a comment:

• I like and respect everything about the NRA & plan on joining, but do you think that the group can really be a factor in helpin

I like and respect everything about the NRA & plan on joining, but do you think that the group can really be a factor in helping us hunters/gun owners/collectors keep our guns and ammo in the event the Gov. wants to take them away? I truly think this will never happen, but hypathetically what do you think? The only reason I question it is because everyday you see unions like the UAW lose more and more power. Hear in Michigan, when there is a union issue the Civil Service just trumps whatever the local unions vote on. Retirees from the Auto industry and Airlines are losing there pensions and healthcare at an alarming rate because of our Supreme Courts vote for the companies. It just seems that if the Govt. wants something done the Supreme Court will back them 110% and were all screwed!

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Bows
    by PigHunter
    I hear ya! I finally got around to adjusting the new sight on my 90's vintage PSE. It's been restrung too. I've used a crossbow for the last 7 seasons...
    Today, 08:45 PM
  • Bows
    by Danbo
    Started practicing with my bow.
    The deer don't stand a chance 😎
    Today, 08:23 PM
  • Reply to Rip -rbg
    by Pmacc60
    The public can focus on two different things at once ! Again liberal nonsense , put it out there and we can see what the president is planning for the...
    Today, 08:43 PM
  • Rip -rbg
    by fitch270
    2020 adding to it's bag of tricks....
    09-18-2020, 09:26 PM
  • Debate #1
    by FirstBubba
    Debate #1 is supposedly a go.
    Not sure if Biden will get his "fact checker" or not. Probably not. If the fact checkers are honest, it...
    Today, 08:42 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
Working...
X