Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you think about throw lines?

What do you think about throw lines?

Trot line? Not legal here but I'd make one if I needed to eat. Put together a little kit from a F & S article and keep it with my camping gear.

Comment

Trot lines are legal in my area and I grew up setting them in the river. I prefer small setups that are hung from submerged limbs and staked to the bank versus the long trotlines that people run across areas.

I usually set one up with 5 hooks at the most, but I actually do better with single hook lines

Comment

I usually use a single hook with a chub on the end for catfish.

Comment

They really work if legal but I caution you in throwing them. I once swung the weight from one around over my head and gave it a hefty toss. The fifth hook back caught my dog right in the haunches and apparently quite shocked he jumped right straight up and over the 15 foot river bank. As I reached to catch him, the seventh or eighth hook lodged under the middle fingernail on my left hand. When the dog hit the end of the line it really hurt and he almost pulled me over too. I will never forget pulling that dog up by the trot line. It was a bit of a circus there for a while since apparently his end hurt as much as mine did. I cut the hook on the dog's end but I just could not get that hook out of my finger no matter what I did. I had to go to the doctor and get it cut out and that dog just never did completely trust me again. So be careful and good fishing. Remember, all that glitters is not gold. Oh and by the way, I'm with KBM and the fat chub on the hook... gets 'em every time.

Comment

I like it!

Comment

I like it!

Comment

I like it!

Comment

I like it!

Comment

I like it!

Comment

I like it!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad