Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what do you think the best home defense gun is?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what do you think the best home defense gun is?

what do you think the best home defense gun is?

im only 14 so i have no plans on using any of my guns for this purpose,but im still curious. a lot of people were saying the remington model 870 but i was reading an article that said the .410 was better because it isnt as loud if you fired a 12 guage in your house it will definatly do the job but will mess up your hearing

Comment

Ever heard of a handgun? There are a ton of great models and calibers.

Comment

i would have to say the taurus judge with the 45 and a 410 shot shell it is a good hand gun

Comment

im with elmer fry, when i turn 21 i might buy a judge or a SP101 in .327 which is also a good self defence gun.

Comment

A US Model of 1911 45acp is a very good gun for self defense. Here's the site to show pretty much everything about it.

http://www.sightm1911.com/index.htm

Comment

A 45, or a good ol 44 magnum will do the job well.

Comment

If you don't want a handgun in the house or you think it inaccurate in the dark a Rem 870 youth model 20 is great. With the factory 20inch barrel it slides around corners without banging the walls. #4 buckshot might be better than 00 buck with more pellets but very deadly.

Comment

I would definately go with a shotgun. If its dark and you are sure its and intruder its as simple as point and shoot without much thinking required. Trust me when something happens you don't want to have to think about what you're doing.

Comment

herbie57_57
                    sounds like a good way to kill the wrong person or an unarmed man

Comment

Very important: Have a GOOD flashlight kept just as handy as your firearm. You can mount one to your shotgun or get a good pistol with a rail mount. I like .40 caliber around the house.

Comment

45 to 44 magnums? O’BROTHER!

Several things you must weigh in, you’re shooting ability and the firearm to be used. Remember, bullets will pass thru sheetrock almost like paper and you are responsible at the time of trigger pull to the rest and complete stopping of the bullets you shoot even if someone steps on a rested bullet slips and falls!!!

A MOSSBERG 500 YOUTH PUMP SHOTGUN 20 GAUGE WITH or any pump with #3 or #4 buck shot will work fantastic. The cycling of a round in a dark house will send any bad guy running!!! Actually a 1oz #6 bird shot will work just as good and you will not have the pass thru into the neighbor’s house. Remember never to use reloads for any self protection. Always use factory loads for reliability and especially if you go to court. You may have reduced reloads causing less trauma rather than full house 230 grain Black Talons and 45 Auto Hydra-Shok® JHP like I use, the other side will eat your lunch!
                        I use for light a LED Element K2 that is really bright has a wide solid beam and a Springfield 45XD.
                        To stop a charging intruder, you must penetrate and hit the spinal cord or brain in the right pace to stop them in their tracks. If being charged by someone with a knife, you better be hitting your mark on the first shot!!!

Comment

Clay is right. A shotgun (improved cylinder) with a "target" load of 6's or even 7.5 or 8 shot. The shot won't travel through two layers of sheetrock to possible hurt a family member and it will put someone down. If you don't believe what this load will do at "room distance" just shoot and old piece of scrap plywood at 10-12 feet!

Comment

I would go with a pistol. Either the .45, 9mm, or the .44. The are all powerful and are easy to grab and carry around.

Comment

I keep a 45 with a light in the nightstand but its just till I can get to my 12 guage in the closet!! I have no small children in the house and my daughter has been around guns her whole life. I use a Springfield XD 45 with a streamlight tac light I have a sure fire of some kind (about 65 LUM) and I keep the Mossberg 500 Mariner in the closet. 8 shots of OO, If I can't get it done with 22 shots I've got problems! I'll have to get my wife to pull her 9!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to scope/red dot wrenches for rings/bases
                                by jhjimbo
                                You can buy a complete selection of sizes for very little - maybe $30. The selection covers all applications. Mine are in a yellow box and contain a few...
                                Today, 10:17 PM
                              • scope/red dot wrenches for rings/bases
                                by dewman
                                Getting quite a collection of wrenches. I'd say I've thrown this many away,keep smaller sizes that come in the package for adjustments with the red dot/reflex...
                                Yesterday, 03:07 PM
                              • Reply to How much is too much?
                                by FirstBubba
                                That's about as good an answer as there is, redangus.
                                When I worked in a sporting goods store and a customer asked me the "best caliber"...
                                Today, 10:12 PM
                              • How much is too much?
                                by FirstBubba
                                There is no doubt that a .30-06 Spgfld is more than adequate to actually slay a whitetail.

A lot of newbies come here and ask, "What...
                                Today, 09:40 AM
                              • Reply to How much is too much?
                                by jhjimbo
                                If the friend shot through a tree he must have had a full metal jacket solid. My BIL and I shot at a tree and he went through and my 30-30 penetrated...
                                Today, 10:10 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X