Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Let's say you were running a bear with dogs, and when you caught up with the pack, you found them fighting with a pack of wolves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let's say you were running a bear with dogs, and when you caught up with the pack, you found them fighting with a pack of wolves

Let's say you were running a bear with dogs, and when you caught up with the pack, you found them fighting with a pack of wolves. The pack has already killed 2 of your best dogs, would you shoot the (protected) wolves. I know a guy this happened to, but he didn't make it there in time to protect his hounds and lost 4 of 6. You have a bond with your dogs, I'm afraid I would protect them (controvesial I know) like I would my own family. What would you do?

First of all after living in Alaska for 4 years, hunting and talking to numerous Alaska Biologists, I do know if a pack of wolves would attack the dogs, so will they attack humans and everything else they come across.

Saying that what would the Coop do?

I’d mow them down and face the consequences!
    This is not normal for wolves’ period!! and in fact wolves will eat domestic dogs that are left outside!

Comment

There are two kinds of Coyotes and Wolves, pure bred and high bred (cross bred with domestic dogs)! Pure bred will follow the natural instincts as for High Bred is a highly intellect and most cunning for their species.

Comment

Tough question. All dogs are put at risk when hunting. Whether it's a boars tusk, bears paw or low flying shot it's the nature of the game. My initial reaction would be to shoot as many as the SOB's as I could but I'm old enough to know that what I think I'll do and actually do are two different things.

Comment

I would do one of thwo things.

A. Shoot the wolves.

B. Capture the wolves and make them my new hunting partners so the incident doesn't happen again. Anyways, after watching the movie White Fang, training a wolf seems to be easy.

Comment

I don't think the protected status applies to anything anywhere in an attack situation. Shoot the wolves. You should see no trouble for it.

Comment

If any thing EVER harms my dogs I don't care what it is I will shoot it.

Comment

Shoot. Shouvel. Shut up. The wolves would all be dead.

Comment

Has anyone ever seen two dogs fight each other?

They are fast as hell and they don't stay in any one position for more than a fraction of a second. It's a wild ball of flying fur and teeth.

Does anyone actually think they could shoot one of the wolves without risking hitting one of their own dogs?

Does anyone know specifically how the various state regulations would apply in this case?

I know in some states wolves can be harvested if they start to regularly feed on livestock. Would that rule apply here?

Comment

a little question of my own here. wouldn't a warning shot scare of the wolves? take a shot in the air? or are they not gun shy. i'm not familiar with wolves at all. but if they were gun shy, and they would run from the sound of a gunshot, i would take a couple shots in the air.

Comment

definetely would kill them my bond with my dog's is to strong for them after there at the house a couple weeks there family and I'd protect them not wait for the DNR to come and try to hunt them and come up empty. Clearly the wolves had an intention and would do that again to somebody elses dogs.

Comment

I'd shoot the the wolves in a heartbeat. Could you use self defense in something like that. If someone did try to bust you for it.

Comment

I'd definitely shoot the wolves. Understanding that there are predators out there everytime you step into the wild, that was not your intended prey. The fact that they attacked your dogs, you are merely defending yourself, since it has been pointed out that if the wolves are willing to attack the dogs, they will likely turn on you as well.

Comment

I would kill them and be proud of it.

Comment

I would kill them.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad