Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Been gettin pretty cold in Southern Indiana lately & going through alot of wood in the wood burner ,mostly Red Oak & Ash. What's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Been gettin pretty cold in Southern Indiana lately & going through alot of wood in the wood burner ,mostly Red Oak & Ash. What's

Been gettin pretty cold in Southern Indiana lately & going through alot of wood in the wood burner ,mostly Red Oak & Ash. What's your favorite wood for your woodburner?

Whatever splits easy and burns long and hot. Red oak and ash fit that description. Wild cherry and walnut are also good in my area.

Comment

Will cut a locust before any tree. Tough on the saw and tough to split but burns very hot.

Comment

In my are in SE Nebraska we have a lot of wild malberry trees wich burn pretty good, so thats what we use

Comment

Bear Mountain Premium Pellets.

Comment

Never cut down one of those pellet trees,how do they burn?

Comment

The way my wood shed is draining down, I'm starting to think the Geico woodchucks are carrying it off. Eastern WV has been colder than Hillary's heart this season!! I prefer red oak and locust but this time of year I don't turn much of anything down! Stay warm, my friends!

Comment

For the 2or3 weeks of cold weather in Fl.we use swamp oak,orange wood burns good and smell grate.

Comment

Oak when I can get it. Fire wood is getting pricey but the savings are still worth it. I think over the next few years ash is going to be easy to find due to emerald ash borers being found now. That's another import we could have done without.

Comment

I actually prefer good, seasoned red oak. Can't get it where I am now. Well, I suppose I could, but I can't afford it! LOL!!
                    I have to burn what I can get. The only thing available to me is either blackjack, pecan or mesquite. Blackjack is knotty and hard to split, folks get a bit testy when it comes to cutting their pecan trees for firewood. That leaves mesquite. Superb firewood, especially when seasoned. Burns hot. Throw a green log on and it will last almost all night. Biggest problem is finding mesquite big enough to mess with. It's really gotta be some "old growth" to do a lot of good.

Bubba

Comment

Mostly water oak, laurel oak and red oak. I recently cut a bunch of wild cherry, but it is bad to pop embers out of the fireplace and using the fireplace screen really cuts down the heat thrown out. I like hickory when I can get it, both shagbark and mockernut. After a hurricane, I can usually wear out my chain saw on pecan trees blown over in people's orchards. I'll use poplar in a pinch---easy to split but it burns too fast and doesn't leave much in the way of coals.

Comment

I like free wood. It burns the best and is very economical to burn. For a smell I likeRed oak with some cinnimon stick added. Free wood keeps you warmer too.

Comment

preseasoned ONLY oak or mesquite

Comment

Forgot to mention that it was so hot and dry this summer and fall that the oak I cut last February got so dry that it's burning up too fast. I'm going through my supply like Sherman went through Georgia. It still keeps the electrical bill down.

Comment

Douglas Fir for starting a hot fire, but for longer burns I prefer maple and alder. Free always seems to burn best! Locust is too mard to split. I don't smell any of it since it goes up the chimney!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to How come the Amish aren't all dead?
                                by Pmacc60
                                Why post something like fact check and make a statement like Amish have dug a lot of graves. ? Fact check only says Amish are effected by Covid 19’...
                                Today, 12:50 AM
                              • How come the Amish aren't all dead?
                                by labrador12
                                The Amish Community have largely ignored the Covid bullcrap, got the virus, and continued on their way. Herd immunity and disregard for the vaccine played...
                                10-11-2021, 08:52 AM
                              • Reply to TGIF: Fired Up Friday
                                by jhjimbo
                                Duran Duran in the news - another alblum. I did not know they were still kicking....
                                Today, 12:25 AM
                              • TGIF: Fired Up Friday
                                by fitch270
                                Easy one this week that should cover all kinds of styles.

Lighting it up with one from The Cult

”Fire Woman”...
                                10-22-2021, 07:47 AM
                              • Reply to May Use This One
                                by jhjimbo
                                When I first got it only Norma ammo was readly available. now several load for it as do I....
                                Today, 12:16 AM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X