Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If you have a scope on your .12 gauge, what distance do you sight it in for deer hunting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you have a scope on your .12 gauge, what distance do you sight it in for deer hunting?

If you have a scope on your .12 gauge, what distance do you sight it in for deer hunting?

Do you hunt open fields or Woods or both a good start is dead on at 50yd in woods and 75yd open field!

Comment

Go here, it explains it all. www.lightfieldslugs.com/lightfield/shootingresources/shootingguidepages/zeroingdsg/

Comment

It will depend on what ranges you want to shoot and the slug whether it be rifled or sabot.

Like Treestand said, most guys go with a 50 to 75 yard zero. You could also get a BDC scope and have it set per its instructions.

Comment

I went with 50 yards because I only use it in the thick woods. My 270 is for any further shots, which is sighted in an inch high at 100 yards.

Comment

I set my slug guns like this , Rifled barrel
            2 3/4 "Copper Solids 1" high at 50 yards keeps me good out to around 150 yards in my gun with a 2x7 scope
            Smooth bore 2 3/4" TruBall 2" high at 50yards and it will hold out to around 125 yards in my gun with 42mm red dot

Comment

First of all, I would like to compliment any hunter that puts a scope on their shotgun to use for deer hunting. A properly zeroed scope certainly increases the odds for a clean kill. As for zeroing the scope, I like to do it at the longest distance that I feel confident in taking a shot at deer. That distance for me is 100 yards. Some hunters may feel comfortable with taking longer shots than 100 yards; I do not. To each their own. After sighting in my shotgun at 100 yards, I then take shots at 75 yards, 50 yards and at 25 yards to know where my slug is going. All of my sighting in is obviously done on a solid rest at a shooting table. By the way, when I hunt with a shotgun, it is a 12-gauge as well. My deer hunting buddy takes his deer with a 20 gauge shot and is successful in harvesting deer as well.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad