Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

a 25-06 shooting 117 gr. bullet. is there a reason that this rifle would need a muzzle break? do some people just put them on fo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a 25-06 shooting 117 gr. bullet. is there a reason that this rifle would need a muzzle break? do some people just put them on fo

a 25-06 shooting 117 gr. bullet. is there a reason that this rifle would need a muzzle break? do some people just put them on for aesthetics? am i missing something? thanks.

You do not need a muzzle break on a 25-06.

Comment

No! Is the rifle painted pink?

Comment

If you need a muzzle break, you are either a wussie or have too much gun IMO. Even a .257 Weatherby needs no brake.

Comment

LOL... I love it. I have seen muzzle breaks on .22 lr rifle for target shooting. I had an answer break system on a .22-250 and I could hold the crosshairs on the X-ring and see it hit the paper at 100 yards. A muzzle break is not really for reducing recoil but for suppressing the muzzle blast and redirecting the recoil for a more managed shot. Do you really need a Hemi in your challenger or a big block in your camero, not really because a V-6 will move it at the speed limit. Do you need a muzzle break on your gun. If you want a better shooting rifle,shotgun or muzzleloader it is a real asset to shooting it well. If you guys cry about a muzzle break is it wrong to use shooting sticks or a rest?

Comment

It is the new tool of the sociopath. Nothing alienates fellow shooters better and faster than muzzle brakes by redirecting their muzzle blasts into our ears and faces. Just another symptom of the me-me self absorbed generation. They over compensate for short comings with more gun than they can handle then again compensate at the expense of the rest of us, for whom they don't give a hoot, with muzzle brakes. Either that or they ran out of room on their multiple picatiny rails for accessories so they added one that could not be ignored to the muzzle.

Comment

They aren't necessary. My grandkids shoot a 25-06 and they can handle ther ecoil just fine. The muzzle break must just be for aesthetics. Sourdough had good comments about the use of the muzzle break at a shooting range.

Comment

i saw larry czonka hunting with it on his show in alaska. just couldn't understand why it was there. thanks for making me feel better. thought i was losing it.

Comment

I saw a muzzle brake on a .223 a couple of weeks ago. They look cool and can help accuracy if you don't mind the noise. You could put one on anything but the recoil of a 25-06 sure doesn't require one.

Comment

I hate them. Hearing is an important part of hunting, and hearing is not something that mixes well with brakes. There is no game animal on the planet that requires a cartridge that can't be handled with a properly built gun and some practice.

Amen SD.

Comment

I know quite a few people who put brakes on .243's, .25-06's, 22-250's, .223's and so on, not because they can't handle the recoil or like the noise but simple because it tames a tame cartridge even more. With a 25-06, the muzzle still jumps quite a bit and you lose sight of your target when this happens. With the addition of a muzzle brake, it allows you to keep you target in your scope even as the rifle recoils. This allows you to spot your own shots and make the necessary correction if needed. Serious varmint hunters use them a lot on their rifles for that very reason. If you can see where you're hitting, it makes it a lot easy to make corrections if one is needed. Do you need one, probably not. Is there anything wrong with them or do you have to be ashamed for having one? No. Shoot a rifle with a brake and then unscrew it and shoot the same rifle again, you'll notice quite a difference. No you don't need one; but when has not needing anything stopped us from getting something cool?

Comment

If you would like to deafen all those about you at the range? By all means, install a muzzle break!!
                        If you think it's aesthetically pleasing? By all means deafen yourself everytime you slip the sears!!
                        Yeah, you're missing something! YES!!! Deafness!
                        I'm sorry, I don't mean to leave the impression I don't like muzzle brakes, but i REALLY don't like muzzle brakes!!! They are totally useless!!! Unless it on a .50 Barret or the like.
                        If you need a muzzle brake to shoot the gun, GET A LIGHTER CALIBER!!!

Bubba

Comment

10-4 bubba, on anything less than .375 or larger they are not really needed. And my 375 H&H DOES NOT have one.

Comment

I hunt with a 25.06. You do not need a muzzle break. If you are concerned about your hearing, wear hearing protection when it is practical to do so. That is true with any firearm you shoot.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to TGIF; 15 minutes of fame
                              by PigHunter
                              I know. Very hard to sing....
                              Today, 05:31 PM
                            • TGIF; 15 minutes of fame
                              by fitch270
                              Every week we have a number of go to artists and bands we link to, nothing wrong with that but what makes these threads really interesting are the forgotten...
                              Yesterday, 08:45 PM
                            • Reply to Worked at the bench
                              by jhjimbo
                              Matt, I started hunting with a friend from the corner hang out, sitting in a booth talking hunting and guns for hours on end. Started going with him...
                              Today, 05:26 PM
                            • Worked at the bench
                              by jhjimbo
                              Rain and wind kept me in so I preped .300Wby and .340Wby brass. Between them I have 85 rounds. Now to decide what load to use? I have .338 in 200, 225,...
                              09-05-2021, 10:40 PM
                            • Reply to TGIF; 15 minutes of fame
                              by fitch270
                              No way I can keep up with the lyrics to Black Betty. Good tune....
                              Today, 05:11 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X