Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone know a way to buy heartworm pills for the bird dog without having to pay 100 bucks to a vet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone know a way to buy heartworm pills for the bird dog without having to pay 100 bucks to a vet?

Does anyone know a way to buy heartworm pills for the bird dog without having to pay 100 bucks to a vet?

Try the "WorldWideWebb" aka the net?

Comment

You could try the local pharmacy.

Comment

Del – Just talked to my brother who is a vet and he said you can always try the 1800PETMEDS, but that they require a prescription from a vet (who usually requires a heartworm test prior to writing a script). Obviously, private practices dislike places like this because it takes away profit from them. As a previous dog owner myself, I feel your pain. I was fortunate that my brother was in vet school at the time and was able to get me the pills for free. Good luck and let everyone know if you go this route how it turns out.

Comment

Del,

Those discount mail order house you see advertised on TV have a better price than most vets. Shopping the web can produce better prices also. Some local hardware/feed and seed store sell the product also.

The heartworm medications contain Ivemectin. I know several dog owners (won't say who) who have used the Ivermectin Horse Wormers for years safely and to good effect. They give a dose once a month. For a large dog (bird dog) they squeeze out a dollop about the size of two english peas or peanuts. This is administered typically on or in a treat. It can also be wiped onto the back of the dogs tongue. The horse wormers run about $12 - $14 each and are enough to worm 1200 lbs of animal(s).

Comment

I asked around, and although I do not use 1800 Pet Meds, I have heard a lot of good things about them. From what I am told, they have really good prices and also have good customer service.

Comment

Thanks guys, I will look into the Horse wormers. There is a feed and tack store close to home.

Comment

Del in KS, My family runs a dog boarding and training business so use wormer a lot. We get ours at the local feed store. You can use Horse wormer but you need to use a VERY little bit. That stuff is powerful! A good wormer that will take care of most anything is going to run you about $30.00.

Comment

I hear questionable things about Petmeds, etc. Beware.

Comment

Agreed with Beekeeper answer above and A + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad